GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:31:20 +0100
From: "Andy Mensah" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 11:38 AM
Subject: [unioNews] GHANA: "To live, not to leave"

Wednesday, February 04, 2004
<H3>TO LIVE, NOT LEAVE</H3>

<B><i>THE URGE to leave this country in search of "greener pastures"
has grown to the point where it has become an almost insatiable
obsession plaguing the minds of the youth, the future leaders of this
potentially wealthy country. </i></B>

One only has to go to the consular offices of the developed countries
in the early hours of the morning on each working day to understand
the depth of this desire. Some of the queues of visa applicants snake
along, coiled like mosquito repellant!

On the face of it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with travelling
to either trade, study or just to visit. To interact with and
experience different cultures other than one's own is itself an
education, which widens a person's horizon.

As a matter of fact, all great leaders including our own Osagyefo Dr.
Kwame Nkrumah and President J.A. Kufuor, went through the edifying
experience in their youth. And they are the better for it.

However, for reasons, which need no explaining to any Ghanaian, this
desire has reached a level that is now HARMFUL to the development of
this country.

We ask readers to cast their minds back to the '70s, during those
times of "99 days in Agege" when in some cases, the whole staff of
secondary schools would leave en masse for Nigeria! Twenty odd years
later, can anyone seriously argue that this did not affect our
educational development?

Are the current poor results right across the length and breadth of
the country not related?

At his New Year reception for members of the diplomatic corps,
President Kufuor had occasion to appeal to foreign diplomats to
extend more courtesies to visa-seeking Ghanaians.

Ostensibly, he must have been appraised of the sometimes not so
diplomatic manner some of the embassy staff treat the applicants.

We dare say, though, that these hapless consular officers are
subjected to a great deal of pressure from desperate visa applicants.

There have been instances where some people exploded in fury when
they were refused entry permits and the law enforcement agencies have
had to be called in. Some faint-hearted ones even passed out!

The Chronicle does not agree with the cynics who simply dismiss the
problem by explaining that it is a modern version of slavery, albeit
voluntary, unlike days gone by.

We believe that it is only a reflection of the hard economic times -
and they didn't start today - facing this country.

<B>When good leadership galvanizes us to produce more than we can
consume, when work is available for our teeming youth, this desire to
leave Ghana will abate. The "brain drain" will reduce, and we will
not stand in the midst of water and be thirsty.

We must wake up and live, not leave.</B>

© Copyright 2004 Ghanaian Chronicle Online. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/DKgolB/TM

lllll
QUOTATION:

"All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishments of an African
empire, so strong and powerful as to compel the respect of mankind, but we
in our lifetime can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility
within another generation"
-<html><A HREF="http://members.aol.com/GhanaUnion/afrohero.html">Ancestor
Marcus Mosiah Garvey <i>(1887 - 1940)</i></A></html>

llllllllll
 *  //\\//\\ unioNews Newsgroup //\\//\\   *
 * http://members.aol.com/GhanaUnion *
 *          We're One People         *
 *          Join the Chorus          *
 -    African Union Shall Succeed    -