GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:39:19 -0400
Njaay Jata,
I hope we are not giving too much attention to these so called radical
black/African students and their views about Euro-centrism. To claim
that institutions like SOAS deliberately stacked their libraries and
curriculum with neo-colonialist material was part of a grand design to
give  Africans inferior education  is an insult to us Africans. First
there is no doubt literature on Africa  predating 1900 were written by
Europeans. The fact is that they like today's writers wrote for their
audience who happened to be Europeans and not Africans. An believe me a
large proportion of books (past and present) were written in order to
make money and fame and not re-educate a foreign population. And most
often writers spice up, embellish, exaggeration sometimes makeup stories
to make the bestseller lists.  Secondly it is over 50 years of
independence. By now Africans should, instead of complaining about the
materials in SOAS, write their own books. But then, even that would not
be free of distortions and twisting of facts.

Malanding Jaiteh