GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:35:57 EDT
Ndey,

i agree with you totally. Infact, my choice of words in my response makes it
look like I believe that this Regime infact does empower women, but i wrote
that quick response in a hurry, trust me, so my apologies if it appeared even
for an instant that I believe that this oppressive regime empowers any
Gambian, period.
 One has to be daft infact to even think that this charade you mention is not
recognized, but there seems to be no shortage of that where these PR schemes
originate.

It is just another chapter in the continuing saga of this regime's
persistance in trying to delude people the World over. Needless to say, they
fool only themselves. Not only are they wasting tax payer money in sending
this large delegation that, unfortunately for our sisters,  is meant only as
another window dressing, but this infantile declaration by Tombong  is an
insult to the intelligence of Gambian women and to Gambians. It falls in par
with the "crocodile tears" address to the nation by Jammeh after the April
Massacre, as well as all the other "pitiful" attempts to cover up all sorts
of things that have become a daily trademark of this regime. There is a
Wollof saying that when one uses the carcass of one wolf to bury another, the
last carcass is still exposed. They do keep trying, though?

However, we understand that Tombong is just playing his role in the desperate
drama.Hey, maybe the so-called "Million Woman" march by my sister  was the
kick-off for this new campaign to show the World that "we empower women" huh?

That is very sad for us as a nation and as women, but most of all, one cannot
help but to feel embarassed for them. It is a very tragic thing when the
running of a nation is dependent on embecillic whims and a very clear
demonstration of the severest lack of understanding as to just how to govern.

Jabou Joh

[log in to unmask] writes:

<
 Jabou & co.

 The Gambia government's so called women's empowernment gesture is mere
 tokenism because the neccesity of empowering women is the new international
 agenda. For this reason, the Jammeh government cannot afford to plot this
 grand deception.