GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:35:23 EDT
Yeah, Ebrima I read the reports from the Gambian newspapers online and I
must say that the victory for the defense team must be sweeter considering
the fact that this time it was Pap Cheyassin Secka himself that borne the
brunt of the trouncing. I must say I got lost reconciling what was really
going on. Apparently, while they were arguing this case, there was another
case against Darboe and Co in another court. I wished I had the wisdom of
seasoned lawyers (Antou Gaye, Ousman Sillah, Amie Bensouda and Mariam
Denton) participating in this case to assist me to decipher this one. But
one does not need a law degree to figure that there are already two bail
hearings in this case. The AG is relentless in his attempts to put 25 people
in jail for the lawful execution of one person (if you ask me) and at the
same time, he is more than reluctant to put a single person in jail for the
murder of 15 children. So after reading the reports, every lay person should
know where the commitment of this government lies. These people are only
interested in perpetuating Yaya by any means necessary. If they have to
slaughter our kids in broad daylight, they will do it. If they have to
kidnap people in front of the whole world they will do it. They turned the
whole Gambian population to amateur lawyers because of their blatant
disregard of commonsense. One of the things that also caught my eyes
recently when I read Gambian papers and talk to friends back home is that
everyone now knows that it is illegal to detain someone beyond 72 hours
without a charge. I didn't know that until this regime came to power. I just
noticed that the family members of Ebrima Fatty (latest kidnapping victim as
far as I know; maybe even as am writing this, they are kidnapping someone
else) were also questioning why he was being detained beyond the 72 hours
maximum limit. It is incomprehensible. The UDP supporters should stand their
ground and also make the murdering of our children on April 10 and 11 their
agenda. It is about time they heed Colly's advise and give this matter the
priority it deserves. We saw what Yaya and his gangs did to the Crude-oil
issue. This parliament will not do anything for us. The courts worked for
you so far in this ambush case. Continue using it to get justice for our
children or at the very least showcase the brutality of this illegal regime.
Take the case about the murder of our children from that toothless
commission and take it to the court where it belongs. With the AG's latest
defeat and humiliation, it is all the more urgent that we have an
independent prosecutor for our case. We will pay for the services of that
prosecutor. We do not want losers representing us.
KB