GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Barrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:44:58 +0300
This idea of a global Gambian organisation looks rather troubled from
its very conception. Typical, isn't it. It is a very a commendable
proposal that ought to be given a chance; however, the position paper
introducing it seems to be having a rough reception so far.

I don't know  Mr. Latjor personally, but my impression from his postings
is that he appears to be an honourable man. That notwithstanding, I
think he got some of us confused in the too  many things he tried to
lump together. Within the space of  a month, we see a web site
launched;  an "acclaimed" Gambian sociologist, spokesperson for a
political party,  gets invited to be guest speaker at some conference in
America. Then an "official" launching of the same web site, a global
Gambian organisation is proposed, and almost in the same breath we see
postings being signed off as CEO. Of what? Gambia incorporated!

You see, an organisation of the type you are proposing, if successful,
would greatly impact on the welfare and well-being  of Gambians.
Therefore, things need to be very clear and understandable to the
average person from the onset. This CEO thing should not be a big deal;
for one can call oneself anything, but to some simple minds like us,
when you suddenly propose a noble idea like the formation of a voluntary
organisation, it ought be clearly separated and appear to be so, from
any upcoming business venture that you are also formulating.

The apparent proximity in time and space, between your excellent
proposal for a global organisation on the one hand, and the happy
revelation of a business venture, which am sure will also carry forward
the good name of Gambia, is sort of too close for comfort.
Transparency, accountability and trust, much needed commodities in
today's Gambia, should form  the bed rock of any such organisation that
is to be inclusive of the whole Gambia.  No hard feelings, just desiring
the best for our country.