GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mori Kebba Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 19:02:00 -0500
Gambia L,
I was shocked to learn that during the UN secretary general's visit to The
Gambia he said the UN only monitor elections in foreign countries when they
are invited.I heard this on the BBC Focus on Africa's letters slot. I hope
there is no truth to that concern expressed by a Gambian. For those of you
who remembered the 1997 election you can imagine how the election will be
like without independent observers.

I think this will make it more urgent for our collective letter writing
campaign to make the UN demand observance of the elections instead of
waiting for invitation which I do not think that rogue regime will do.
Mori Kebba Jammeh