GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 00:52:02 +0000
Mr. Conteh, could it be that the favored currencies of the Pound and Dollar
are targeted for folks living abroad/tourists?  Are you saying that these
foreign currencies are demanded from local customers?  More so, if
government and a small circle of crooks are gobbling the foreign currencies
in the country, how would the tourist industry earn foreign currency,
especially when their services are sold to foreigners/outsiders?  Should the
commercial banks get a monopoly of foreign currencies in the country?  What
does that do for the country, that the hotel owner will not doing?

In the case of Taf, let's say I decided to buy one of his houses, coming
from the US, at $300,000, can't I buy the house by giving Taf that amount
straight from my pocket, in dollars, or do I have to give that money to the
bank and then turn around and pay Taf in Dalasis, just for Taf to rub
shoulders with Government and other insiders to get to the same dollars from
the bank, in order to buy his materials in foreign markets?  I highly doubt
that Taf is looking to locals to sell in Pounds/Dollars, and if that is the
case, then market forces will wake him up to sanity.  As a consumer, I will
be a fool to buy a house from Taf in dollars at inflated prices.  If
anything, I will be buying that house at a discount for providing him
foreign currency.  I'm talking the language of market forces here.  Just
looking at the same issue from a different perspective.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou