GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Modou Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:00:07 +0000
It is sad to hear that Pa Touray of Ifang Bondi passed away. If there was
anyone who worked hard to put The Gambia on the musical map of the world, he
and the Ifang would be the ones. They have been criss-crossing around the
world, promoting The Gambia and they are very respected everywhere. My
personal condolences to the Touray Family and personal friends of the legend
himself. My condolences goes also to the members and all time fans of Ifang
for their great lost, I pray for his soul to rest in peace.

Having said this, I would like to take this opportunity to comment on some
of the reactions been made prior to his death, and the comments made about
the Gambian music and musicians lack of recognition, home and abroad. It
might seem very unfair to many, me sending my condolences to Pa Touray’s
family and friends, and at the same time talking about Gambian musicians and
music. I am not trying to disrespect the Legend, but trying to set the
record straight, something I think the legend himself would like us to do.

The Gambian musicians then and now have very little recognition both home
and abroad among Gambians, this is a very sad thing knowing the musical
abilities of the Gambian population. Is it because of the lack of support
the musicians are having from the Gambians at home and abroad or the
Senegalezation going on in The Gambia, as some were claiming.

One thing I do know is that these things have very little to do with one and
other. It is very possible for someone to like the Senegalese music, and at
the same time to like the Gambian music even more. Music is feeling and
feeling can not be directed in such an extreme way, that one taste for music
would exclude the other. If the feeling is not there, one just don’t have
the feeling and that is it. One can not dictate the feeling, it just needs
to be developed and that is the work of musical promoters and producers.
Money has to be put into it, to make it work, but Gambian musicians also
need to think about the people they are making the music for.

Is it possible to say that our musicians have not succeed in giving the
people what they need and want? I sometimes get sick and tired of musicians
speaking about Fatou Sidibeh here and there, when there are much bigger
problems to talk about. I for one feel more connected to reggae, more than
any other music in this world today. The reggae I listen to, gives me all
the strength I need to move forward, as a black and an African. I listen to
some Gambian music some times, but I would listen to it much more if they
sang songs about our problems, or songs that would give us the breathing
space we need.

The Senegalezation discussion is out of proportion to say the least. What
can Senegal bring to The Gambia that The Gambia never had, the cultures,
traditions, ethnicity’s and religions are carbon copies of each other. If
one was to count countries in the world with fundamental similarities to
their neighbours, The Gambia and Senegal would be counted among the very
first ones. Liking Senegalese music is the closest one can come to liking
Gambian music, compared with my music taste they are at home right in the
heart of The Gambia.

After all what is Gambian music contra Senegalese music? What we should be
talking about is the question of Gambian identity, which has much broader
implications on us. There is nothing like Gambian music, there are Gambians
playing music as there are Gambian politicians and intellectuals. It is up
to the individual to beleive what the politicians and intellectuals are
saying, as it is for them to feel the music the musicians are playing.

If hardworking people want to take a break from their 9 to 5 plus extra and
enjoy themselves, they should not be blamed for not being partiotics because
of their musical choice. Let us not make political issues of everything. The
people of Senegal and the people of the Gambia have been working together,
musicians and ordinary persons alike for a very long time. The use of the
word Senegalezation can be very contagious and dangerous. Let us not blame
others for our misfortunes.

Modou