GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:13:32 GMT
True words indeed! The Gambia is desperately in need of salvation. Some of
these stories sound like a cruel joke to me. The fact that someone like
Modou Pika could be anywhere near the presidency is a nightmare to me. For
all the time I've known Modou Pika -which is over twenty years now, I've not
known him to be responsible at all. I'm guessing John Njie (APRC Nat. Vice
Chairman? or something) recruited Pika 'cause they've been buddies for a
long time. The former is a "Ndo" to Pika. But, Pika has always been an
ignorant punk. He's all brawn, no brains folks! There's isn't a living soul
in The Gambia today who believes more in absolute raw physical power. I'll
give you a typical Pika story, and there's some irony here.

Back in 1977/ or early '78 when I was a young lad, the Vous Ten Football
Club of Tallinding organized a football match with the Latrikunda/Fajikunda
boys held in Latrikunda. In those days, Mo' Ceesay, Eliman's (Badala FC)
older brother was Latrikunda's star attraction. Well, when things weren't
going in favor of Latrikunda, Pika notorious for his belligerence, started a
fight. Most of the Tallinding guys were truly scared of him, and they all
but fled. "Hippo" Baks Manneh (UDP candidate S/K East in the '96 elections,)
was the first Pika got to. Pika clearly had the upper hand. But here is the
irony of this story, because you won't believe who saved face for
Tallinding: Famara Tombong Jatta! Yes the current MP for S/K East took on
Modou Pika. Pika threw the guy to the ground faster than you can say "one,
two" but Tombong's sheer guts and tenacity pretty much evened things out.
But Pika didn't want to stop, because for the first time in those days,
someone had actually stood up to him. And he was hell-bent on showing
everyone who the "winner" was. He would let several men hold him for a
while, then he'd thrust his arm and send them flying, while surging towards
Tombong who was being escorted by another large crowd. It's like a scene
oout of some gothic movie. A huge crowd -mainly boys my age, followed him
from Latrikunda. Right where Hassan Jeng later built a gas/petrol station on
the outskirts of Latrikunda (now S/K East football park,) Pika made a
declaration that he'll kill any Vous Ten member he sees in Latrikunda. We
kids cheered Pika! Pika! That is typical Pika.

For all the time I've known him, the only time anyone pays him any attention
is when raw power is desired. Otherwise, Pika has never amounted to
anything. When Sarro (GPMB) people are ready to do their thing, there's
Pika; when football clubs are on, there's Pika, the natural-born Bouncer.

He loves the attention that comes with being an innate criminal. He's
regarded as something of a legend by the underbelly of his community, so
this Kidnapper stuff is a mere extension of the only skills Pika has ever
had. And the fact that the man never trims his moustache, not only added to
his physical ugliness, but to the very aura that he likes to project. God
help our people, because Modu Pika under the control of irresponsible
elements is bound to leave a lot of damage in his wake.

I hope someone will ask MP Tombong Jatta about Pika's role in their party,
and the experience I just related. Just don't mention my name 'cause that's
bound to cause family trouble for me. Tombong should know what innocent
Gambians are going through at the hands of Modou Pika.

Saul.