GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 20:34:41 GMT
Mambuna,

For lack of time, I couldn't speak out earlier but I'm totally with you. If
these Taal people had written to Ebrima on the L, it would be perfectly
reasonable for him to go after them the way he did on the L. But, like
you've accurately pointed out, that's not the case here. I, and I believe
many others, constantly receive private mail from some psychos in the Jammeh
Camp for our opinions. I treat mine as private business, because it is. I
don't need anybody on this forum to fight my private battles for me. So I
really don't understand why Ebrima, or anyone else for that matter would fwd
private mail to the L, and by implication, inviting others to engage the
original sender. Private business is private business. And for what it's
worth, Ebrima's reaction to your original caution, was very irrational, and
totally disproportionate to what you've said - to say the least. Why would
one declare war on an enemy that doesn't exist? But in honesty, this is not
the first time Ebrima has engaged in such behavior.

When Ebou Colly came out with his maiden revelation about the inner workings
of the Jammeh military structure, Ebrima all but went beserk, aggressively
trying to drag the gentleman to reveal himself. He declared he knows who
Colly really is. He posed many questions, which he again declared he already
knew the answers to, etc, etc. If you're sure about the answer to a
question, why ask it? What is all that showmanship about? But, more
importantly, as a professional journalist, why would Ebrima try to force a
source who clearly wants to remain incognito to reveal his identity? I'm no
journalist, but I red "All the President's Men" by Bob Woodward and Carl
Bernstein of the Wash Post. Their story of how they worked with "Deep
Throat" (a very highly placed source in the Nixon White House,) should be a
must-read for all journalists. Most certainly for Ebrima's types.  If Ebrima
hasn't read that book, he needs to do so pronto. If he has, then anybody
would be foolish to trust him with their secrets because he has absolutely
no regard for people's desire for privacy.  If this gentleman's real name is
Sulayman Saidykhan, but wants to be called "Ebou Colly", or "Kanchunku,"
that right should be respected by all -especially a self-proclaimed regional
award winning journalist like Ebrima Ceesay. There is such a thing as
lawyer-client, doctor-patient, or journalist-source relationship. It ought
to be respected! At the time, somebody pointed this out, not in so many
words. Ebrima, instead of taking heed, launched into a biographical recap
telling us about his designation at the Daily Observer, what he's been
through, and the commendation/awards he's received for journalistic
excellence. And of course, the challenger is an immature school boy who does
not and "would not" understand his tactics. Yeah right!  I had to go back
and re-read what the gentleman had said to be sure that Ebrima was replying
to the same person. And just last week, someone worried about the safety of
Ebrima's sources given the pointers his postings indicate. He retorted that
the person should just read the postings, and not worry about his sources.
Now, it's a given that the NIA people aren't the smartest people in Gambia,
but how many people could there be (outside the cabinet) who are privy to
cabinet memos, or "doing work for this useless cabinet?" I don't think
there's a lot. If these sources are in fact what they're portrayed to be,
then it's only a matter of time before Jammeh's thugs catch up with them.
Why would any responsible journalist endanger a source's life or livelihood
this way? With this attitude Ebrima, you're sure to sign many death
warrants.

Matarr Sajaw's piece in my view was very direct and to the point. Except for
the points about the Taal brother (who I know nothing about,) I agree with
Matarr entirely. Like Matarr, I think any truly humble or nice person will
be content with others singing his praises, eulogizing him, or inscribing
his contribution to mankind on his tombstone. If one has to constantly
remind everyone about how accomplished, humble, or nice he is, there's
something wrong somewhere -in my book. Indeed, this List could do a lot
better without the constant "I'm mightier-than-thou," "I'm in a league all
by myself," self-promoting, self-aggrandizement, name-dropping, and totally
out of whack egoistic writings that we are often subjected to. 'Cause like
Matarr, I get a case of stomach cramps anytime I read some of these
postings. The self-promotion, and self-importance evident in the postings is
a little too much for me. Nothing illustrates that trait more than the
un-subscription threats and announcements that we keep seeing here. I've
only been a member of this List for the past nine months, but it's been
around for a few years now. And at the bottom of each message that appears
here, there are directions as to how to subscribe or unsubscribe that even a
complete idiot can understand. Yet we see people announcing/threatening
their desire to unsubscribe. What's up with that? All one needs to do is
follow the simple steps prescribed for un-subscription, and Walla! You're
out. Those who cannot live with your absence can either follow you, or
declare a period of mourning. Their choice. Regardless, when all is said and
done, the List will live on.

Having said that, I want to reiterate that the Gambia-L as it is now is way
too over-rated in my view. It's providing Gambians an alternative to the
one-sided views that Gambian public media gives the people. That is well and
good. But, otherwise, there is not much else happening. Less than two months
ago, Yaya Jammeh ordered the butchering of little children. G-L led in
condemning the outrage. Meetings were held, declarations made. But with a
membership of over six hundred people, we are to this day unable to raise
even ten thousand dollars. And all it would take is for every member to
contribute at least $15/$20 each. That to me speaks volumes about this List.
So, the image that people try to portray about this List's importance is at
the very least very premature. We are nowhere near that level of importance
yet.  If changes are to come to the Gambia, it probably wouldn't be due to
anything we do or say here, it will depend on the people on the ground. We
can act as catalysts, or morale boosters to the real fighters on the ground.
But giving this List credit for bringing about changes in the Gambia, is
like crediting international demonstrators for the death of apartheid. So,
what's my point: if the entire List is so over-rated, I leave you to
decipher what I think of any individual member's contribution. As far as I
can tell, NO ONE here is indispensable. Those who want to leave should
follow the basic procedures to de-list, and stop bothering others with these
childish charades.

And one final note, Ebrima, a Phd will not gain you any more respect than
the clothes that you wear. Despite the abuse given the word, "respect" can
only be gained and MAINTAINED through one's conduct in interacting with
others. If one's conduct sucks, one can have all the Phds in the world, and
still gain no respect. It (Phd) may gain one more money, or FEAR from
subordinates. But respect? Nah! When the dust settles, and I don't care what
society you're talking about, a foolish man with a Phd is Foolish Dr. X, a
liar with a Phd is Liar Dr. X, a corrupt Phd is Corrupt Dr. X, etc, etc. So
this notion that you'll gain respect by getting a Phd or writing x number of
books is delusional. Don't bank on it. If you can muster the humility to
accept constructive critism, you're bound to realize your potential. And of
course, the better off, you'll be. Otherwise, I join Mambuna in wishing you
god speed in your post-L life. Life goes on…

Saul.