GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 21:07:45 +0000
Sidebeh, makes three of us (including Conteh) and at this rate, the crook is
going to be out of business very soon.  I was told he was part of the
deligation that accompanied Yaya Jammeh is his last wasting of our resources
in the US with that crook in Sillah Bai and company.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

>From: Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: The Gambian Dalasi-LEKBI
>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:32:41 +0100
>
>Joe,
>
>You can say that again about Taff Construction. On a number of occasions
>browsing the net for Taff's houses  at Yundum and Brufut layouts with
>visiting friends, we could not belief the price tags attached to these
>houses.
>
>(See: http://www.tafgambia.com/estate-perspective-brufut.htm)
>
>A Zeinab at Brufut with a total floor area just under 500 square meters
>(with three bedrooms) goes for an incredible Euro127,000 which is a
>whopping
>1.15 million Swedish Crowns which is more than D4,000,000.
>
>I supposed these prices are especially for us diasporans and other foreign
>speculators as the prices are not even quoted in dalasi. In subsequent
>discussions around these houses and their price tags, we figured that
>buying
>one is not a mere purchase. One simultaneouly pays for the surrounding
>infrastructure: the sewage system, water and electricity (plus poles and
>cables), the paved streets, the community market, mosque and school, and
>the
>labour and materials that went into erecting these.
>During the colonial days, the European administrators stole the tax money
>paid by Africans to upgrade the infrastructure around their side of town,
>while the African majority remained in their mud and thatch huts without
>utilities or decent roads or paved streets. It was Apartheid economics
>everywhere. Kenya is a shining example!
>I supposed that is still the order of things except that roles have changed
>unrecognisably; and that we our so-called educated selves can still throw
>in
>endless explanations apolgising for this "natural order of things".
>True, entrepreneurs like Mustapha Njie are important in our countries and
>need our support. On the other hand, we have business people who are only
>too eager to tie corruptive knots with politicans in power, feeding on a
>bleeding economy for private, opportunistic gain.
>
>The role of entrepreneurs at the very least needs to be to cater for the
>needs of average Gambians and against politicians-turned-businessmen and
>against vampiric pricing of their products.
>
>Sidibeh

Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium
Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/