GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 01:36:45 GMT
Ditto Bamba!! Could anyone believe that I have not read a single submission
on this topic? I casually erase them as I see them. I did read the stories
on the Imams though.

I have always held the belief that FGM, like some traditions ought to change
with the time and environment of the people who practice it. Afterall,
tradition is linked with time and circumstance.

However, the best way to convince someone to abandon a tradition is to
educate and offer alternative solutions to the reasons for the tradition. It
is inflammatory to reject and diemeonize them and it is couterproductive
even though your sentiments are well placed.