GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Muhammed Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:14:54 +0000
Assallamu Allaikum,
All Praise and thanks to Allah Lord of the worlds,Lord of Jinn and mankind,Lord of all the Angels including Jibriel and Mikaeel. O Allah show your mercy to Muhammad (SAWS), his family , his wives, his progeny, his helpers and his companions.(AS)

Brothers and sisters of The Gambia L, I was just surfing the net today and I came across the word,Lord Mayor of KMC. I am not bothered by the details of the article but the title Lord Mayor did worry me as to the direction The Gambia is taking.

Before going any futher i would like to give the history of Lord Mayor and the difference between the Lord mayor and the Mayor of London

Moyor is a latin word which means "GREAT" from the word "magnus". In 1189,King Richard the First of England appointed the firstMayor of London. In those days mayor has considerable authority and carrys executive powers over the finances and affairs of the corporation of London. In those days the mayor was also a Magistrate as the Chief Magistrate. So we could see that the office of Mayor in those days was carry out the functions assigned to him by the King and hence the term Lord Mayor. in my own opinion the best translation to give the term Lord Mayor is "the lord's great servant" In 1972 ,However, the Lord Mayor position has been laid down by  act of Parliament of the Laws of the United Kingdom. Even as this present day the lord mayor is not elected by the general public,he is elected by the council of councillors. Part of this local government Act of 1972, it is stated that"THE LORD MAYOR SHALL HAVE PRECEDENCE IN ALL PLACES IN THE DISTRICT,BUTNOT SO AS TO PREJUDICIALLY AFFECT HER
 MAJESTY'S ROYAL PREROGATIVE"

Also the Lord Mayor is only responsible for the corporation of London in the City of London.

The Mayor of London being different from the Lord Mayor is elected by the electorate and is responsible for the Local government of Greater London.

Now that we know the history of the Lord mayor, I just could not understand why The Gambia is borrowing titles from a country which is still a monarchy.

What this is creating is unnecessary burreaucracy and mystification of people. Just as in Britain instead of saying Secretary of State for Finance, they say CHANCELLOR OF THE EX CHEQUER

So in Britain next to Prime Minister is Chancellor of the EX chequer even thogh there is deputy prime minister and this is same legacy The Gambia have adopted where Finance state Department is considerd a mightier post than the office of the Vice President.

Do we all remember when a particular SOS was transferd to another State department when he was the Finance SOS, he was as sad as fowl that just escaped death I cannot name this person but what I am trying to emphasized is that is that we do not need Britain as copycat model

Even the President addressing the National Assembly is no different from the Queen addressing Parliament as State Opening of Parliament. There are lots of Changes that is needed in The Gambia and we do not need any country aa a model both politically and economically. What we should do as a people is to be the envy of the world

Gambians of all works of life, Let us fear Allah, Be you Muslim or Christian and completely do away with pride. If we are Muslims Let us be Muslims let us be good and just muslims and for those who are christians let them be good christians.Let us all accept that the Holy Constitution for The Gambia is Holy Quran and where dealing with christians the Bible shall be used and by a Christian judge with full understanding of the Bible.

Man made laws are incomplete and always changing and completely unfair because there are limited in scope as the human being while Allah is Supreme and free from fault

Where we deal with Kafirs, they will be given a choice as to whether they wanted to be judged by Holy Quran or the Bible and we should reject judging them by man made fallible laws.

Please do not get me wrong, We can still elect representatives to make rules and regulations for the running of society but the rules and regulations shall COMPLY WITH THE LAWS OF ALLAH AND NOT CONTRADICT THE LAWS OF THE SUPREME.

A just society can only be reach by all of returning to Allah and this is the way foward

Until then

Wassalam

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい