GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:45:11 EDT
  Hamadi,
      I don't have use of my computer at home, presently. I am accessing my mail from a public computer. However, I just want to state that, I certainly do not subscribe to the idea of a political system based on ethnic groupings. May be, this idea has been miscontrued, but I will definitely try to clarify it.

  The idea has been borne out of an experience through my association in community oriented development programs and activites. However, your submission that in most multi-ethnic villages in the Gambia, political decisions have always been taken by a representative of the society regardless of ethnic background, is more accomodating indeed. When I review this idea, and indeed realize that it tantamounts to tribalism, I will certainly not identify with it. Thanks for the observation. My whole political philosophy is opposed to building political structures based on ethnicity.
    Rene