GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:57:37 +0000
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues

Issue No. 18/2005, 7-9 March 2005

Editorial

A FOOTBALL MATCH OR DIALOGUE

BETWEEN MEDIA AND THE PRESIDENT
The Way Forward
FOROYAA has always emphasized that a democratic society is one where the space that each citizen , professional association or civil society organization is entitled to occupy, is protected. The Gambian non governmental media has been struggling for its space to be protected.

In many countries in Europe and the US one can easily identify the political affiliation of major Newspapers. Many governments in the world would be happy to have the type of non governmental media that the Gambia has. In short, it is not uncommon to find journalists running after prominent supporters of the government or the opposition to get their opinion on an issue. Some even accuse journalists of trying to put opponents against each other to boost their sales.  Logic teaches that in the battle of opinions some must be on top and others will find their views unpalatable. This however should not lead to ostracizing journalists and the media.

Recently, the Secretary of State for Information has taken the initiative to meet media houses independently to discuss the need for a dialogue between the President and the media and to further organize a football match between the government and the media. From the information Foroyaa has gathered the Secretary of State has not been received with hostility anywhere. This confirms that the Gambian media holds no grudges and does not know that those who at each time happen to be at the helm of state, no matter who controls authority to make good laws and policies or bad laws and policies. Hence dialogue with a sitting government is always necessary to put one’s case across.

The major concern of the media has been the special forces on the media fraternity which is accompanied by the enactment of draconian laws against it. No journalist is opposed to the making of laws to protect the rights of groups, reputation of persons and the best interest of society. What journalists have advocated for is what is required by the constitution.

The constitution has been categorical saying that laws meant to protect any interest should be reasonably justifiable in a democratic society.

In no democratic society will you find a law which says that you can only exercise your freedom of the media if you give a collateral of 500,000? It is like establishing a law that before one practices medicine, law and so on one must give collateral of 500,000 just in case there is litigation against ones malpractice.

In the same vein, in no democratic society can you find a law which imposes punishment without upper limit based on the degree of the defence. Justice is about equaling punishment with scale of transgression. Laws have been here against libel and sedition.

Lamin Juwara was convicted under such laws. What purpose was served by his imprisonment for six months. Gambians are generally tolerant of divergent religions and other views. The country therefore does not need a government that is paranoid. An open government can easily challenge opinions in the media that are false and refute them. This is what the opposition has been doing. The opposition does not have state power and cannot arrest and imprison journalists. How many times has Presient Jammeh assaulted the reputation of members of the opposition. Words were used to battle words and he like any human being, who has self respect and wants respect is likely to be careful in uttering remarks against his opponents. FOROYAA wants to give humble advice to the secretary of state. At this point when Deyda’s murder is still fresh he should invite the journalists for a discussion to indicate the progress made in the three demands of the media, that is; the allegations regarding the arson
 attacks on the Independent, the mobile policy of the streets with a well publicized phone number to speed up reports on suspects and the elimination of vehicles without number plates.

The journalists need confidence building. This can be done by convincing the president to give authority to the soldiers accused in the Independent incident to hold a press conference just to clear doubts. The secretary of state can further encourage dialogue on the new laws.

Needless to say, as the state makes progress with Interpol with regards to their lead on Deyda’s murder, greater understanding will develop and other confidence building measures can easily follow.

In FOROYAA’s view, the President’s major task in creating a peaceful atmosphere is to engage NADD in a dialogue to create a new relationship between government and opposition; which will lead to the opening of the media to divergent views, mutual participation in state activities and the real elevation of state administration above partisan policies. If this is done as the lead everything else falls in place. People of all backgrounds will engage the government as an instrument of that state without necessarily indicating  whether is for or against it. We hope the government will take note of these humble views.

DRAMA AT BAKOTEH DUMPSITEThe Consequences of Poverty
By Sarjo M. Camara

Bakoteh Dumpsite, the biggest dumpsite in the Kanifing Municipality is now a hub for thousands of people who use the site as a base to scavenge through the rubbish dumped at the site on a daily basis, especially for expired food and beverage items. On Thursday the 3rd of March 2005, in the morning, the Armanti Company went with full truck loads of expired food and beverage items to be dumped at the site. These include food and beverage items of all types imported from the United Arab Emirates, whose consumption dates have expired.

After the sighting of these vehicles, people could be seen like a group of angry wolves or vultures that have seen the carcass of a dead animal. It sometimes goes to the extent of having physical arm to arm combats among them and as the law of the jungle is what they abide by, the powerful always get the large share of the dumped items.

This drama which I witnessed, unfolded in the presence of two police officers, who were there to guard the site. Instead of blaming them, I pitied these two officers for being seriously unable to handle the situation, because of the large huge crowd of over a hundred hungry people, ready to eliminate any obstacle that comes in between what they want to scavenge. Even a reinforcement of dozen officers would not have been able to stop this particular crowd I witnessed scavenging.

Speaking to one woman at the site, she indicated that the dump has been her place for survival for almost 5 years now; that that is where she gathers items and resell so as to be able to  keep her family alive and pay her children’s fees. As the lady was talking to me, tears could be seen rolling down her cheeks. The woman indicated that since her husband passed away, things became very difficult for her and the family. It can be easily noticed that this woman is not alone as many women rushed to approach me, wanting me to talk to them, when they discovered that I was from the private press and was a woman like them. Many lamented the soaring cost of living and hard times they were facing; that the government of the day was paying lip service to the plight of women just to make political gains. The women spoke their minds as some young girls explained the reasons that brought them to scavenge. One girl of school going age indicated she has dropped out of school because her parents
 were poor and were not able to shoulder paying her fees and feeding them; that she goes to the site with her mum to scavenge for potatoes, onions, canned drinks, etc, which they consume and resell some to upkeep themselves.

The scene was a pathetic one that can make tears fall from the eyes and a serious health concern for the general public including the government of the day because some of the food items can find their way back into the market where innocent people will buy them for consumption.

If this is what 40 years of the country’s independence and 10 years of APRC rule can bring, then the people should brace themselves for what the future can bring for them under such type of administration.

PRESIDENT ADDRESSES THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
 By Abdoulie Dibba
The President addressed the National Assembly on Thursday 3rd March 2005 on the state of the nation. This is in line with section 77 subsection 1 of the constitution which states categorically that, “The President shall at least once in each year attend a sitting of the National Assembly and address a session on the condition of The Gambia, the policies of the government and the administration of the state.” This is the constitutional basis for the address.

In addressing the National Assembly, the President indicated among other things that he is convinced that under the wise leadership of the speaker the National Assembly will continue to discharge its functions with dedication, patriotism and efficiency. He went on to say that he can fairly claim to have maintained the momentum of recovery efforts as government continued to move towards the objective of a better life for all Gambians.

“But I know very well,” the President said, “that we have only started on the road to recovery. We are still very heavily burdened with external debt and our debt service payments last year were large compared to what we earned in foreign exchange through our exports.’ The President said that, “There is still a long way to go and we therefore need time and more importantly hard work and perseverance.

On Agriculture

The President indicated that, “Agriculture continues to play a very important role in the socio-economic development of The Gambia, providing substantial rural income, employment, foreign exchange earnings and food. In recent months, government has been making great strides to find an efficient, cost effective and sustainable way forward to address the marketing and financing problems that persistently beset the agricultural sector. The President asserted that a study on the marketing and financing of agriculture was conducted and in consonance with the recommendations of the study, the Gambia Agricultural Marketing Company (GAMCO) was established. He said as at 24th February 2005, this company has disbursed D250 million as crop finance to the Cooperative Societies and Marketing Agents.  “In this connection,” the President said, “about 32, 000 metric tonnes of groundnuts have been purchased so far.”

On Defence and Interior

The President indicated in his address that the Armed Forces, Police and Immigration officials have made commendable efforts in the promotion of the defence policy and the fulfillment of international obligations. He said that, “In recent months, the menace of armed gangs of thieves have been wreaking havoc on our peaceful shores. Even the rural areas where crime rates have been traditionally low, have not been spared by the armed robbers. The Greater Banjul Area has been hit by a spate of violent crimes most of which have so far not been solved. The Police have been urged to intensify their investigations so that culprits can be brought to book.”

On Justice

The President indicated that his government is committed to providing a justice delivery system that is affordable and accessible. “To this end,” he said, “a decentralization of the High Court system is underway.” He said during this year’s legislative session, the Department of State for Justice and National Assembly Affairs will be seeking the approval of this august Assembly for the promulgation of certain laws which will give legal effects to certain key policies of his government.

On Foreign Affairs

The President indicated that the abiding principle of his government’s foreign policy is the promotion of international peace and solidarity, a world free from all forms of injustice and respect for human rights and democracy as well as transparency in international cooperation.

On Personnel Management Office

In a bid to address critical manpower shortages sector-wide, a reform on the statutory retirement age was put in place. “Currently,” the President said, “efforts are being made to revise the Public Service Act of 1991, the PSC Regulations and the General Orders in order to facilitate good rules and procedures for enhancement of working conditions and better remuneration arrangements.

On Tourism And Culture

The President indicated that, “Government is cognizant of the need to ensure that our tourism product remains competitive, given the dynamic global market and the various trends that impact on the sector. To ensure that this happens, the President said that his government, through the Gambia Tourism Authority (GTA) and in collaboration with stakeholders continue to implement measures to improve the areas of marketing and promotion, product development, standards and quality control and human resources capacities. In the creative and performing arts, the President said that the National Council for Arts and Culture continues to encourage and support the activities of our artists.

On Finance And Economic Affairs

The President indicated that, “The economy of The Gambia was put on a sound footing during 2004 as the macroeconomic recovery that started in 2003 was built on, resulting from an improve fiscal outturn and a tight monetary policy stance. He said that domestic revenue hit 20 % of GDP, a remarkable increase of one billion Dalasis from the outturn of D1.5 billion in 2003 whilst the rise in current expenditure of 18 % in 2004 was significantly lower than the previous annual increase of 29 %; that monetary policy was also tighter in 2004 than in the previous year, causing broad money growth to fall sharply to 18 % from 44 % in 2003. The President indicated that as we enter 2005, the end of the year inflation rate has fallen to a single digit 8 % from 17.9 % recorded at the end of 2003. The President indicated that economic management is not free from the occurrence of adverse shocks and lengthened periods of instability; that hence The Gambia has had a fair share of these downturns in the
 recent past. However, he said that each time instability has reared its head, the government responded with strict but suitable measures to reverse the downturn and rid the economic system of undesirable elements that deliberately hinder the operation of a free market system with the appropriate intervention from his government.

On Education

“The elimination of poverty and progress towards sustainable development,” the President said, “cannot take place without increased and improved levels of education and eradicating ignorance.” He went on to say that the establishment of the University of The Gambia in 1999 has been a major achievement in the development of education in The Gambia. He said one crucial problem is harnessing the necessary material and intellectual resources. “Research in such critical fields of development as health, agriculture, basic sciences, human resources development and management will be promoted,” he remarked. The President indicated that the circumstances in which teachers will find themselves are crucial to their performance and hence, the situation of teachers in relation to postings continues to preoccupy government. Consequently, teachers said, teachers serving in difficult regions will from now on be paid varyingly hardship allowances depending on the following classifications: Region Six
 (URD) teachers will receive 40 % of their basic salaries; Region Five (CRD) 35 %; Region Three (NBD) and Four (LRD) 30 % and Teachers in the Fonis in Region Two (WD) will be given 25 %.

To be continued

KEREWAN RURAL WATER SUPPLY IN LIMBO

By TombongJadama

Reports reaching FOROYAA indicate that still now, communities in and around Kerewan are in need of a good drinking water supply system. It was indicated to this reporter that ever since they paid their monies or fees for their taps they did not get the service the monies were paid for and have not been given any information regarding the matter.

According to sources, EDF 8 Project has already phased out and since its phasing out the Kerewan Area Council did not take responsibility of their water problem but only rely on donor.

The compound owners in Kerewan community revealed that they each paid D2, 750 (Two thousand seven hundred and fifty dalasis) for the taps to be installed and that this project should have been finished before the end of December 2004. They said that now they are getting information from the Area Council that the rural water supply will now be sponsored by EDF 9 which will be commencing by the middle of this year, 2005. The people are therefore asking about their money.

When this reporter contacted the Chief Executive Officer of Kerewan Area Council, Mr. Saihou Keita, he confirmed that there are delays in the water supply project but promised that very soon it will start. Mr. Keita said that some time back they had a workshop with the EC Charge d’Affaire who informed them that EDF 9 project will be coming very soon.

JOURNALIST ALLEGES HARASMENT

By Amie Sanneh

After the recent murder of Deyda Hydara, which investigation is still on, there is yet an allegation by one Momodou Gassama of the Independent Newspaper.

According to Momodou this problem arose while investigating a threat by NTA to close M and K should they fail to pay thier dues within 3days.

Momodou alleged that due to a story he was investigating at the National Training Institute (NTA) involving the closure of a business centre called M & K Computer Centre together with a newly opened telecentre owned by a Nigerian, Mamudu Anegbe located at Latrikunda Sabiji, he was violently arrested and detained on Tuesday 1st March 2005.

“I was beaten by one Police Officer, and one staff who punched me with his fist on all parts of my body. Then I was whisked away to Kanifing Estate Police Station, where I was forced to write my statement and thumb print it instead of signing,” Mr. Gassama alleged.

He added that he was also ordered to remove his materials like pens, file, belt, shoes, etc to be left bare footed and forced to join other detainees in a cell at the station.

“While I was in the cell, I called one police officer to call the attention of my newspaper. He came and responded to me by asking whether I want the whole world to know about this; that I should better call one of my relatives to come and bail me,” he remarked.

Gassama pointed out that it was there that he was given the opportunity to call one of his cousins, Momodou Lamin Gomez, who came and bailed him; that while he was in detention, he revealed that he was given a death threat.

“One police officer even told the said Abdou Bojang if it were him, he would have killed him. They even said that if any journalist misbehaves in Jammeh’s regime he / she will be dealt with,” he claimed.

Gassama however described this incident as a challenge and not a threat to him. “This incident is not a threat to me. It has even encouraged me to excel in reporting the truth from the length, depth and breadth of this country,” he said.

Residents Complain Of Waste Water in the Streets

By Tombong Jadama

Reports reaching Foroyaa have revealed that residents of Faji Kunda, Bundung Bantaba and Churchill’s Town are suffering from waste water pollution. According to them many compound owners make way for waste water from the bath room of their compounds to the streets. They went on to indicate that the polluted water stagnates there by making it difficult for road users; that now some compound owners use pipes to discharge waste water from their homes instead of having a suck-away in the compound for these waste waters. They also indicated that compounds who do not have suck-aways pour all their waste waters in the streets after laundry or washing.

According to Mr. Modou Njie of the Health Education Unit, at the Department of State for Health, their unit is looking into all health problems affecting the community. He pointed out that before they used to take people to court for those types of acts, but that now man power is their problem as they do not have enough staff to go round in Serrekunda to inspect those areas; that they have limited staff at various health facilities. Mr. Njie indicated that they intend to assist the public as far as they are all human beings who need a good healthy community; that his unit also lacks a vehicle to patrol and makes follow-ups after such complaints are made. Mr. Modou Njie however said that the issue of caring for our environment needs close collaboration with all municipalities; that it should be a joint work and councils should support them in complimenting their efforts.

On his part, Mr. Adama Cham of the National Environment Agency (NEA) said that people must change their attitude and conduct responsible acts because they always educate communities on the environment. He mentioned that every time when people come to their office with such complaints they do follow-ups and asked people who engage in unhygenic act to stop. Mr. Cham urged all Gambians to keep the environment clean and healthy.

Press Release GPU Triennial Congress
The Gambia Press Union is scheduled to hold its triennial congress on March 26, 2005 at the GPU Secretariat on Mosque Road in Serekunda. The congress, which is open to all fully-paid up members of the GPU, shall deal with numerous issues, including the following:

- A report of the GPU President

- A report of the Secretary General

- A statement of account from the Treasurer - Amendments of the constitution.

The congress would also elect a new executive which shall steer the affairs of the GPU for the next three years.

The executive committee therefore urges on all GPU members to regularize their membership in readiness for the congress and to come out in their numbers in order to participate in making the GPU what they want it to be.

Meanwhile, in accordance with the provisions of the GPU constitution, any proposals for constitutional amendments should be forwarded to the secretariat at least one week before the congress.