GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:49:23 EST
In a message dated 2/3/04 10:11:27 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> "A wiser Gambia should push for creating synergies between Senegal and
> the Gambia. I believe that will only enhance our ability to compete in
> the long-term. Senegal has the Airport, we have the Seaport. Senegal
> needs access across Gambia, we need access into and across Senegal.
> Creating a free port in the Gambia will not pay dividens if we are
> unable to push the excess good into and through Senegal cheaply.
> However, our current postures will not help. To extremists on both
> sides, Gambians and Senegalese must see themselves as FARA and JAMBA
> KATANG. To believe that each can prosper by going our separate ways is
> seriously flawed."
>

> Dr Malanding Jaiteh,

Thank you for your very brilliant comments and observations. There is nothing
good that can come out of a confrontation between these two countries,
especially given our proximity to each other if nothing else. The extermists on both
sides miss this point entirely because they are being guided by misguided
emotions and not a logical and sober examination of the situation and possible
end results of any conflict. It is the duty of those of us who can examine thsi
objectively to convey this message to these extermists.

Jabou Joh