GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:15:09 EDT
Again, Mr. Colly, you hit the nail right on the head (without 'laha laha').
Thank you very much for your contributions. I also thank Beran and Abdoulie
for their great contributions. Beran, I'll try to respond to your question
herein. We must always remind everyone that Yaya and his gang of bandits
must be held accountable for the massacre of our children on April 10 and
11. Mr. Colly, your observations about the Foroya piece are dead on track.
If the only purpose of the letter is to determine the location of the
coroner's report, then no one will have a quarrel with it. What I did not
want to see happen was calls for the chief justice to review Ousman Jammeh's
findings and order another inquest. This would just have been another waste
of time. Neither the chief justice nor Ousman Jammeh can punish the
culprits. We want to find the quickest way to take this matter to court
where these people can be punished. I have no doubt in my mind that Mr.
Sallah shares the same sentiments. My problem is with the base government we
have in place. They are so low that they will cling to the genuine efforts
of well meaning Gambians, twist those efforts and use it to deny / delay
justice to the slain children. As the law stands now, it is only a
prosecutor that can bring this matter to court. A real prosecutor that is
interested in finding out the truth. A prosecutor that we will be able to
monitor doggedly. You are right. All these proceedings are bogus. Government
officials go there to tell blatant lies because they are all cowards and
know they can get away with impunity. But we will not sit silent and let
them peddle lies about the death of our children.
I hope both you and Mr. Sallah do not misinterpret the way I discarded the
issue about not Gazetting the terms of reference of the commission. I have
the greatest respect for lawyer Ousman Sillah. Not just as a legal luminary,
but also as a person of immense integrity. I will go on record and say that
he is the greatest lawyer in The Gambia; God fearing, patriotic and
incorruptible. I did not see Mr. Sillah's reasoning regarding the terms of
reference and the Gazetting thereof. When I made my observations on that
subject, I was going by what Mr. Sallah gave us. According to the provisions
he quoted, the government is only required to Gazette the FORMATION of the
commission and not necessarily the terms of reference. Even if they were
required to Gazette the TORs, failure to do so does not render the
commission illegal. But even if the commission is illegal, then what? Does
it put Yaya before a firing squad where he belongs? I was trying to
anticipate where our moves would take us. If it is towards sudden death at
the hands of a cunning queen, then we should not make that move. Let us make
moves that will guarantee us a checkmate. Like you rightly observed, silly
inquests and commissions of inquiry would not cut it. You explained in
graphic detail what happened on that fateful day. But left to the forces of
evil, they would even deny that the children were killed. Government
officials come in and tell lies and there are no follow up questions to pin
them down. In real court cases when you tell lies, you perjure yourself and
a judge can throw you in jail for that. This commission cannot do that. To
show their lack of commitment, the AG chamber got us a toothless commission
to look into the atrocities of April 10 and 11. On the other hand,
commissions were set up to recover (seize) assets from people and those
commissions were empowered to jail people. This one (according to their
press release) is only empowered to 'inquire into the public disturbances of
  10th and 11th April, 2000'. You are right about the lack of clarity of
their mandate. They delibrately did that because they did not want to be
scrutinized. Pap Cheyassin knows that he cannot defend this one. The chief
justice does not want a commission that can punish criminals. Everyone wants
to pass the buck. I do not think they have the power to punish anyone. If
they do, maybe the AG or Tombong, who posted the first press release and
appeared to be in the know, can tell us.
To conclude, we suggest that the opposition should call for the appointment
of an independent prosecutor. We should be prepared to foot the bill and get
an international human rights activist to go to Gambia and take charge of
the prosecution of this case. It will be over our dead bodies that the
criminals go unpunished for this one. Our children died for us. Once again,
I thank everyone that continue to contribute to this debate and remind us
about the massacre of our children in broad daylight by a callous and
lawless regime headed by the devil incarnate.
KB