GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:09:53 EDT
Well Elhadj,

You've really got me there. I am no expert on English grammar. Infact, when I
write, I draw on a combination of  what i learned in my elementary and
secondary school years in Gambia, what  the late Charles Jow taught me at
GHS, and what sounds like natural pauses to me.I never took any English
courses in college. I have also seen writers whose style comprises of writing
long sentences like you have described, and I do not think it is wrong, so
long as the pauses are natural, and the sentence structure is correct.
However, this is my own conclusion, and those who are well versed in English
grammar may relegate this conclusion of mine to the dustbin.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 6/11/00 4:41:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Jabou,Soffie,Ndey,Prince,Solomon,Norsdam,Katim,Kabir,Kebba & Others,
 Could you kindly help me with some knowledge here.IS IT CORRECT,TO
 WRITE A LONG SENTENCE WITH UP TO 15 COMMAS ?
 I think,it can be correct because i read a book of WILLIAM FAULKNER,by
 the name GO DOWN,MOSES and he wrote almost 3 pages with only commas.
 With my little knowledge,i think that it is right to do so.Comrades, I
 really need an answer if i am wrong or correct.I would highly appreciate
 answers from anybody.
 William Faulkner was born in New Alabany,Mississippi,on
 september,25,1897.
 His great-grandfather had moved from Tennessee to Mississppi,where he
 was a plantation owner and Colonel in the confederate army.
 William Faulkner has also won a Nobel price on his books.
                                                 Elhajj Mustapha Fye