GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:04:16 EDT
Mori Kebba Jammeh,
Thanks for your interest in getting one of the letters sent to President
Clinton.
Alhagie Bakusa Dukureh as president and myhumblyself among 68 concerned
citizens respectfully wrote to Mr Clinton and requested him and his
Government to keep the presure on Yahya Jammeh to respect the rights of the
Gambian citizens in the wake of the students killings.
Below i hereby reproduce the letter.

The Honorable William.J.Clinton
President of the United States of America
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington,DC 20520
Ph:202-456-1111
E-Mail:[log in to unmask]
April 13,2000

Dear mr.President,

A very tragic chapter in the history of our beloved nation,THe Gambia,
occurred on the 10th,and 11th. April 2000 when security forces opened fire
and killed 12 and injured at least 20 people including a Red Cross Volunteer
and journalist,Omar Barrow,during an unarmed demonstration organised by
students.The students were protesting the torture and murder of a fellow
student Ebrima Barry by fire service personnel, and the rape of a 13-year
old school girl,Binta Manneh,by a uniform officer.Many students have since
been arrested and their parents do not know whether their children are among
the dead or imprisoned.

Mr.President, we the undersigned,as concerned citizens respectfully request
you and your Government to keep presure on Yahya Jammeh and his Government
to immmediately:

-release all the students currently under detention;

-launce an independent enquiry into the shooting and circumstances
surrouding it;

-ensure that all security personnel found to have used force resulting in
human rights abuses will be fully dealt with according to the provisions of
the law;

-ensure that those responsible for the murder of Ebrima Barry and the rape
of Binta Manneh are prosecuted immediately;

-ensure that all security personnel abide by the constitution of The Gambia
and international laws treaties of which The Gambia is a signatory;

-Jammeh to stop arresting his political opponents and allow The Gambians to
excercise their political rights.

While awaiting your kind co-operation in this most urgent of matters,we take
the opportunity to sincerely thank you and your Government for your utmost
attention.

Your sincerely,
Signed:
Saihou Mballow