GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:50:24 EDT
Ebrima, it is honorable of you to put Pap Cheyassin's version on the List.
You guys continue to show examples that Yaya and his band of bandits can
emulate. However, I think the reply from Secka was not responsive enough. In
my humble opinion, your sources were talking about the PROCEEDS of the sale
and not the sale per se. So Coms might not have been in office when the sale
took place, but that does not address the issue about what is happening or
what should happen to the money raised from the sale. The fact that Coms
work for the judiciary (as opposed to AG's Chambers) is also neither here
nor there. AGs in The Gambia have been known to orchestrate the firing of
judges. So Coms can be gotten rid of at the instigation of the AG if that is
what the AG wants. As usual, when this government is faced with simple
issues, they try to dodge the question and assert irrelevant facts or worse
still, come up with fabrications.
Your piece also raised questions about some financial transactions Secka was
involved in with CFAO. That was not addressed. Did he use his office to get
that? Are ministers allowed to engage in business activities now? If I
remember rightly, the constitution only allows members of the executive to
engage in farming business. So Secka should have addressed that issue in the
interest of transparency.
Another issue raised in your posting was the issue of Alimenta and the
allegation that the government was going to level money laundering charges
against the said corporation. This is a very serious issue and it should
have been addressed. Farmers' livelihoods are being jeopardized because of
the foolish stance this government has been taking vis-a-vis Alimenta. As I
mentioned in discussions with Hamjatta in this forum, we in the developing
countries are up against stiff competition when it comes to attracting
foreign direct investments. One of the major concerns of multinational
corporations wishing to invest in foreign markets, is how to repatriate
their funds once their investments start yielding profits. Needless to say,
if a government has the reputation of bringing up dubious money laundering
charges against foreign investors, no reputable investor would want to
invest in that country. So before our government goes around accusing
people, they should make sure that they can back their allegations. This
action should not be brought simply to take revenge on Alimenta for
defeating the government in court.
KB