EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Tanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:30:54 -0500
yeah, I have this problem

-----Original Message-----
From: Automatic digest processor [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 4:01 PM
To: Recipients of EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS digests
Subject: EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Digest - 8 Apr 2003 to 14 Apr 2003
(#2003-40)

Topics of the day:

  1. motivation
  2. daylight savings

with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the e-mail.

Date:    Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:17:18 -0500
From:    Matt Metzgar <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: motivation

I think the point about motivation is a crucial one.  Especially as
people
age, there is surely a decresed motivation for physical activity.  Yet
if
you look at hunter-gatherer societies, you see people in their 70s that
are
still physically active for hours each day.   If you just recommend to
older people, "stay active", it's difficult to see how this will have
any
effect.

I'm not sure of the answer, but if there were more social support it
would
probably help.  For example, a person might be more likely to hike with
friends than go alone.

One other thought: I wonder if there is a certain threshold of physical
activity that must be done every day just for psychological purposes.
What
I'm thinking is that as you become inactive, your motivation decreases,
and
then you become even more inactive and this continues into a downward
spiral.  Any thoughts?

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:34:10 -0500
From:    Matt Metzgar <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: daylight savings

On a lighter note, did anyone else get crushed by dalight savings time?
swear, it took me 4 or 5 days until I felt normal again.  I bet the
authors
of "Lights Out" would have a filed day with this subject.

End of EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Digest - 8 Apr 2003 to 14 Apr 2003
(#2003-40)
with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the e-mail.