EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Cogburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 16:08:23 -0500
I think there is definitely some connection between allergies and
evolutionary principles.  How can people be allergic to the natural
environment?  It also seems that the incidence of allergies is on the rise.
I know of more and more people who suffer from allergies, and it also seems
to get worse when you get older.

I don't know the answer, but I have a few ideas.  First, humans have not
evolved to live indoors.  The dust, mold, and bacteria that get trapped
inside rooms may cause problems.  Another issue may be man-made toxins that
are in the air.  This can't explain everything though, as people are
allergic to grass and pollen.

Is allergy medicine a big scam for the medical industry?  Can the incidence
of allergies be decreased by exercise?  I would like to hear others' views
on this.