EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Kerrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:26:33 -0400
Hi Edith,

You're right on with those comments.  Rest and sleep are vital to the human
experience.  If you haven't done so you might check out the book "Lights
Out:  Sugar, Sleep and Survival" (which includes over 100 pages of
references) by Wiley and Formby. It reveals some starting stuff about the
importance of sleep (as well as excessive carb intake) and its importance
from an evolutionary perspective.

Mike
--------------------

At 04:00 PM 7/5/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Date:    Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:10:42 -0400
>From:    Edith Mcklveen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rest, was (1) No Pain, No Gain? (2) Seniors
>
>The idea of rest as an essential part of fitness makes perfect sense since =
>muscles "damaged" in exercise are rebuilt and strengthened during the =
>self-repair of sleep.
>
>However, our culture seems to ignore that completely. =20
>
>America is open 24/7 with no down time.  We have halogen street lights, =
>late-night t.v., and C shifts.  We have Day Timers with blanks for every =
>nanosecond of the day. =20
>
>We have ads on t.v. for various machines, videos, and drinks that promise =
>to **effortlessly** provide us health, but they are presented in a way =
>that implies the fittest among us are always in motion, **always** down on =
>the floor with our Torso Tiger. =20
>
>We are made to feel guilty if, in our "spare" time, we are not mowing the =
>lawn, fixing the car, planting hydrangeas, doing laundry, cruising Walmart =
>for a new grill/computer/widget, scanning the paper for a movie (invariably=
>  full of adrenaline pumping hysteria).
>
>Working hard and well and then enjoying a quiet and refreshing break =
>(including actual sleep)--a nice but alien concept for many people.
>
>I have a friend who rows as a hobby and works out to stay in shape for =
>that.  Last week, he announced, "I'm tired . . . I was here at work till 2 =
>a.m. two days ago; yesterday, I missed my workout; this morning, I did =
>yesterday's and today's workout, and I swam at lunch."
>
>I understand some people are born wanting to get up and do stuff, but I =
>expect my friend to collapse and die any day . . . and then go swimming at =
>lunch.
>
>Edith

To unsubscribe from the list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the email.

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser