EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Thomas family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:03:40 +1100
From: "Theola Walden Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 4:45 PM

> I'm not familiar with Faigin or the book, but I take it this is a cyclical
> ketogenic diet you're on.  ??

Yes.  Rob Faigin has a website www.extique.com which gives some good
information, but is more emotive, opinionated and in-your-face than his
book.  The book has a good basis in human evolution, though you would not
pick it from the site.

Faigin's ideas are based on maximizing the health and fitness benefits of
the hormone swings caused by different food intakes and activity levels.  He
differs fundamentaly from me in the way he has approached the issue.  He has
looked at the evidence from 1,700 published scientific papers through the
lens of his own experience to come up with a theory to fit the facts. Me, I
care less about the bits and pieces of science; I am just so captivated by
the notion of evoutionary fitness that I believe it must be right and we
will learn what <right> comprises when we find out more about what happened
over the course of human evolution, not by analysing what happens in cells
or test tubes.  I don't devalue that science and I rejoice in the
understanding, but my starting point is the millions of years of human
evolution.

> Give us a run down of a typical day's meal and one of the carb up, if you
wouldn't mind.

This morning I had a had six walnuts - cracked from the shell - and about
25g of cold lamb before rowing training - 5:am.  At 7:30 am, after rowing, I
had another 100g of the cold lamb.  Nothing till lunch which today was three
tins of sardines in spring water on a big salad I prepared last night and
brought from home.  It so happens that I kept an exact record of its
contents using values from the USDA site: 12g protein, 22.1g fat (it had an
avocado), 20.4g carbs.  The sardines added 36g protein, 30g fat and 0 carbs.
Normally I slosh about 25ml cold pressed extra virgin olive oil onto the
salad, but it happens I ran out today and had none on hand.

In the evening I had 400g of steak (raw weight) with all the fat on a
similar salad - with the olive oil this time.

Tomorrow I have a similar first two meals and a carb load meal in the
evening. It will be about 250g taro, 250g sweet potato and a variety of
fruit in season: fresh, juicy dates, cumquats, organic apples and an early
mango

> To change/augment the subject, did anyone see the
>Early Show week before last and the little special they had
>on kettlebells?

I do a few 'dumbbell swings' once or twice a week.  There are no kettlebells
available here in Australia.  This involves a 25kg (say 55lb) dumbbell held
in one hand with legs apart, between my feet, swinging it up and holding it
above my head for a second, then down again to near the floor and up - five
or six reps.  I did this when I was a kid in the eraly 1960s, but didn't
have a dumbbell then - just the cast iron counter weights from sliding
windows.  It's an exhilarating exercise!

Keith

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser