EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J D Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:16:43 -0800
Diane, your excellent quote about native fruits was duly noted and
appreciated.

>Seems to blow the whole low carb theory out of the water.

It does raise tantalizing questions, doesn't it?

There's more. Since long chain fatty acids are not delivered to the liver
via portal blood, but instead go to the bloodstream via the lymphatic
system, which dumps them into the left subclavicle vein near the heart,
there is likely a significant time delay associated with any possible
insulin response to fat. The typical research subject is only measured for
a period of four hours, while sitting in a laboratory with an indwelling
catheter stuck in the arm, connected to an saline IV drip to keep the
catheter from clotting shut. This means very little physical activity.
Since lymphatic flow depends on the contractions of skeletal muscle, a
sedentary subject may not transport any long chain fats to the bloodstream
during the measurement period. I'm not aware of any published research
which has looked at this. If anyone else is, I'd appreciate a reference.