EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Iain Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:43:30 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

I have been suscribing to this list for a long time, and have decided that
I am going to set up a group of friends to improve our health and fitness
along evolutionary fitness lines.  My problem is this: my friends and I
are late fifties, overweight, with high blood pressure, high cholesterol,
joint and muscle problems associated with overweight and so on.

I believe that most of the fitness prescriptions that men and women get
are based on fear and guilt, so in line with the evolutionary fitness
philosophy I want to develop a health and fitness 'game':-

* it should be fun, entertaining, varied, and I believe based on deVany's
power law ideas
* would of course involve Cordain's ideas on the paleo diet
* it should enable a person to gradually change from t
he way they are now
to an appropriate level of (evolutionary) health and fitness.

I am aware of the exercise ideas on www.evfit.com, and www.crossfit.com,
but these are WAY beyond anything these people are capable of.  I don't
want anyone to suffer heart attack, injuries or just to fail ignominiously!

I think there is huge potential given the galloping obesity in the western
world and the recent criticism of the latest USDA's latest dietary
guidelines.

So my questions are:
* what would a evolutionary health and fitness program look like?
* has this been done before? IF so, can you supply any details?

The FAQ for Evolutionary Fitness is at http://www.evfit.com/faq.htm