EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Kirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 10:53:10 -0400
> Hi EV Folks,
> I was wondering if any of you have had experience with GERD (gastro
> esophogeal reflux disease) I have that condition and I'm wondering if anyone
> following a paleo diet has had good results regarding that condition. I've
> been using prevacid as a maintainance medication and would like someday to
> be able to stop. I'd appreciate any experiences your willing to share.
> Thanks in Advance,
> Carl

We have a family history of GERD.  My father had a ruptured ulcer in his
esophagus and is currently on an experimental medication to treat his
condition, which is described to me as "Barrett's [sp.] Throat."

Two years ago i reduced my grain [breads, rice, corn] and starchy carb
intake to almost zero and my chronic reflux disappeared within a couple
weeks.  its anecdotal i realize, but i can tie an increase in "starch"
intake with a recurrence of reflux.