EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:20:04 -0500
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:28:04 -0800, Wally Day <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It was about a hunter-gathere tribe that ate honey on
>an almost daily basis. Can't recall if it was Native
>American or African or Australian. What I do remember,
>since it was so different from other cultures, is that
>they spent most of their time and energy pursuing
>their honey "fix". Apparently, honey was so prized, it
>was even used as a form of "money" (like gold for us)
>in their barter system.

From Colin Turnbull's The Forest People, the Pygmie of Africa fit the above
description somewhat.  For a period of several weeks (or months, I can't
remember exactly), the Pygmie would seek out and exclusively eat honey.
But they ate the honey, comb, and grubs which have high nutritional value
of course.  Apparently the honey, etc. was relatively easy to obtain by the
Pygmies (ie, no serious threat from bee stings).

WRT the original question, I don't think that honey itself should be eaten
regularly because of the high sugar content, but it certainly qualifies as
a paleofood.

Brad Cooley