EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deirdre F Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:26:38 +0100
Hello,

I am Deirdre.  Usually I am an interested reader of this list rather than a
contributor. This time, though, I have an anecdotal contribution that might be
of interest.

John, in my experience, if I exercise before I go to bed, I invariably sleep
better. By better, I mean that I go to sleep more easily, do not wake in the
night, and wake up at my predetermined time more refreshed, with the feeling
that my dreams were more enjoyable and restorative. This seems to be the case
whatever the exercise is.

My preferred, exercise is Astanga Vinyasa Yoga (a physically dynamic form of
Yoga) for an hour, including ten minutes of breathing and relaxation at the
end. I think that the exercise evokes the endorphins and the
breathing/relaxation bring the mind and body into a quiet state ready for
sleep.

However, I find that any exercise is better than none. Sometimes I walk.
Sometimes I  work out in split sessions with free weights and sometimes I do a
less demanding form of Yoga. Any of these will result in a better night's sleep
than if I just eat, drink and watch TV.

I should add that I have a desk job, so my normal day is sedentary.

Thanks to all contributors to this interesting and informative list.  I am
learning a lot.

Deirdre