EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:05:33 -0500
Edith-
I think you are right on with the basics of the paleo diet.  (on a side note
 I recently recomended to some friends who have a 15yr. old diabetic cat who
was having ever worsening health problems to start feeding the cat chicken
livers, wheatGRASS and to supplement with alpha lipoic acid.  Their vet said
the cat no longer "appears" to be diabetic.)  I think a key of paleo eating
is consuming what is local and in season.  during the spring and summer
fresh fruits will natuarally play a larger role in your eating.  Fall and
winter will shift towards more protein and fat with plenty of greens, nuts,
seeds and moderate root vegetables.  A few things to consider when adressing
your bone moneral density 1) Magnesium plays a vital role.  Find a copy of
Protein power life plan for more specifics.  2) strenious exercise WILL
build strong bones (another book Strong women strong bones...I forget the
author...and her concepts are good but i feel her exercise recomendations
are far to conservative. 3) Adequate calcium is an easy thing on a paleo
diet.  1/4 cup of almonds has 700mg.  Seasamie seeds even better.  When you
cook chicken cook the bones with onions and a dash of vinegar...you are
making and aqueous extract of highly assimilable calcium...soup!!
Hope this helps.
Robb

To unsubscribe from the list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the email.

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser