EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:35:09 -0700
> I have seen alot of these heart abnormality posts in
> the last few days.
> Before anyone gets too proud of having a condition
> associated with young in
> shape atheletes,

No bragging or pride involved in the post. I just
found it interesting that the condition was found
"most often" in young athletes.

> please know that even to young
> trained atheletes this
> condition is not a point of pride.

By "this condition" do you specifically mean "early
polarization phenomenon", or abnormalities in general.
I doubt most of the athletes who have this condition
know that they have it - it falls within the "normal"
categories (there are many others as well).

> I PLayed
> collegaiate water polo training
> 7 hours a day during the on season. one day my heart
> simply paused. I got
> out of the pool and laid on the concrete while a
> docotr tried to register
> anything but a weak pulse. Later I sat at 19 in a
> cardiac ward surrounded by
> men twice and thrice my age.  I was determined to
> have just such a
> condition. I wore an event monitor, was watched
> closely, and did not start
> that season due to fears by my coach. These events
> occured occasionally tp
> the point where I needed to cling to the side of the
> pool.  I was not proud,
> I was afraid.

As you should have been. Heart stoppage or weak
heartbeat *should* be taken seriously. Since neither
has happened to me, it took a chance exam, and very
likely an inexperienced GP in an insurance office, to
pinpoint the condition.

> I have since discovered that they are often
> abandoned later, but can grow
> more pronounced. Every tine I go for a checkup I get
> an EKG. It is your
> heart, don't avoid medical assistance completely, it
> may become something
> more than a natural varient, and hey, it is your
> heart. Nothing alarmist-
> but it is a life long consideration, just because
> the doctor is crying
> doesnt mean he is crying wolf.
>
> Be Careful-
> M kallus

I will :) Now that I know the condition exists, I'll
track it on a regular basis. Anything considered
"normal" can become abnormal (else certain diseases -
like cancer - would not exist).

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser