EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Arthur De Vany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:41:31 -0500
I have been asked the following many times:

"I am curious what you would recomend as far as muscle gain.  i have made
fantastic progress on EF in terms of BF loss and strength gains, but I have
not gained much weight.

I just figured out my daily caloric expentiture and on workout days it is about 4600kcals!!I have been eating in the 2800-3200, but that is about the limit of what my hunger moves me to consume.  I do not relish the idea of force feeding, but i would like to gain about ten lbs."

Here are some hints I have not shared with anyone else (the complete story is in the book).

1.  Do not balance calories daily.  The human system operates on a longer time scale of a week or so.  If you are working out with some intensity, your appetite will guide you.  So, eat the right stuff and just let it happen.

2.  Lay off "gainers" and "protein powders" and throw away your body building magazines (which are vehicles for supplement sales).  Powered protein imposes a high filtering load on the kidneys and may be a factor in the (largely unfounded, but troubling) relationship between high protein intake and kidney damage.

3.  Eat tuna and handle heavy weight.  Strength is related to muscle cross section, so get strong and your muscle mass will increase.  Stretch and your muscles will lengthen and be faster.  This will also increase muscularity.

When you can squat 400 and deadlift 500 pounds, you will have all the mass you would want.  Don't do bench presses, they make you non-symmetrical and tear the rotator cuff.  Also a few people die every year from dropping the bar across their neck.

Why tuna, well it has to do with gene expression (one of the secrets of my approach I will only hint at here).  Not only does it have wild protein (that is non domesticated, hormone laden, or with intrusive fat), but it is high in Omega 3 oils, which when combined with exercise turn on certain genes.

So, give up the protein powders and gainer drinks and eat tuna, but not every day.