EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Tanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:48:44 -0600
Michael Warner Kallus wrote:
<This is where the carbs. are supposed to come in - they can be burned both
aerobically and anaerobically during a workout cf fat, and also provide an
energy source that refuels glycogen muscle stores and allows muscle
synthesis, before heading for adipose tissue, right? If I drop all complex
carbs, I'm worried I'm not going to get enough calories from fat, protein
(from my "healthy" animal protein sources) and fruit / veg to sustain me AND
allow increased gains.>
You're right . . and don't forget we need complex 'starchy' carbs to fuel
the brain also; the main control center !! Everything else is secondary.
<As I have understood the case to be, if pure fat is eaten at too great a
quantity at one sitting, the insulin response can be quite significant: 1.
Am I misinformed?>
 Fat has no effect on insulin response
 <2. If not what quantity describes that increased pulse? 3. to fulfil
caloric needs is primarily fat or carbohydrate from fruits and vegetables
likely to leave one leaner?>
 After you have achieved ideal body fat, you may wish to increase caloric
intake through increased fat consumption and not carbohydrate
 < whenever I increase protein consumption my muscle and water retention
increase greatly. I have little intention to buy two wardrobes, one for big
me and one for smaller, and I prefer smaller and more efficient. How should
I tweak the eating regimen to allow for that?>
 Don't cut protein but carbohydrate in the presence of fat will promote
water retention. Protein only should have a diuretic effect; also drink more
water to prevent water retention! The sounds like the problem to me: not
drinking enough liquid.
regards,
Tom