EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chuck Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:11:49 -0800
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

From: "John Cogburn" <[log in to unmask]>

> I'm reading a book called "The Circadian Prescription" by Sidney
Baker.  In
> it, he mentions hunter-gtherers a number of times and comes up with
soem
> prescriptions.  The most interesting one to me is this:  eat protein
and
> fat during the day, and save the carbs for night.  This is against
the
> advice you normally see in magazines, where they say eating carbs at
night
> will end up as fat.  Baker claims that the body actually needs carbs
during
> sleep for repair and rejuvenation.

John,
What does he propose that carbs do to promote rejuvenation and repair?
As far as I know carbs are primarily energy. For rejuvenation and
repair you need protein and fat. As far as I know when carbs are
consumed beyond the immediate need for energy they are quickly stored
as fat. I believe that eating carbs at night is a sure way to get fat.
I also wonder what carbs he considers appropriate to eat. Coming from
a paleo perspective I would say the only acceptable carbs are
vegetables, fruits, nuts, berries and the carbs in some seeds. And
those not in abundance due to there natural seasonal availability. I
have found the best luck eating fruit by itself as a mid-morning or
afternoon snack. I've never done it but I would imagine the best thing
to eat prior to retiring would be a couple of eggs. I usually have a
bit of cheese and some protein powder. I'm happy with my results which
are an 87 pound loss in exactly one year and a large boost in
strength. Interestingly I have a number of coworkers who have also
lost large amounts of weight in the past year due to stomach surgery.
I get comments all the time about how much more robust I appear than
they.

Chuck

with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the e-mail.