EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edith Mcklveen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 13:52:05 -0400
My interest in the paleolithic diet and lifestyle started out, oddly enough, with the death of a pet cat and an extended discussion with others about how high-carbohydrate commercial cat food can almost literally kill them.

Examining my own eating habits, I see all too clearly how an overabundance of carbohydrates (and an underabundance of appropriate exercise) are contributing to a really crappy existence.

But I worry about reducing my carbohydrate intake because one look at my flat molars tells me I am designed to eat SOME kind of carbohydrates, and I keep reading that too much meat in the diet causes a change in the blood chemistry which forces the body to leach calcuim from the bones into the blood stream in order to "balance" things out.

I recently had a bone scan and discovered that, at an age when I shouldn't have it, I do have osteopenia, the precursor of osteoporosis.

I DEFINITELY do not want to change my diet in a way that exacerbates the situation.

May I assume that the paleolithic philosophy is **not** saying, as some fad diets do, that carbohydrates are BAD?

Fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds contain carbohydrates.  Meat, fish, and fowl in moderation along with these foods--that seems sensible and really not too different from other things I've read about.

Edith

To unsubscribe from the list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the email.

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser