EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 19:04:31 -0500
Clarence Bass has come out with two articles this month with a strong
evolutionary fitness diet interest: one on cereals and the other on milk.

The articles can be found at Clarence Bass’ site
http://www.cbass.com/FAQ3.htm#Cut

My own comment on these articles follow:

Cereal and milk intolerance seem to be manifest along a sliding scale.
Some people are allergic, others have a mild negative reaction and the
majority of westerners have virtually no adverse reaction at all.  Here is
a quotation from Managing the Human Animal by Nigel Nicholson (to be
published in the US in August under the more marketable title Executive
Intelligence):

(Begins) The period since we made the transit from hunter gatherer
existence into a life of crop management and stock breeding in fixed
settlements .. around 10,000 years ago .. is too short an interval for
other than superficial variations (absorption of lactated milk, skin
pigmentation) to occur. (Ends)

My own experience is that I have recently reduced my grain intake to about
half a cupful a day, scattered into two or three intakes.  When I return to
just a couple of slices of my previous organic wholemeal bread, I still
enjoy it, but I sense a slight heavy discomfort in my stomach.  It
certainly impedes vigorous exercise for the next three to four hours.

As I am a vegetarian, I have replaced grains with nuts; I have also upped
my intake of whey protein.  I have noticed that on this diet I can do with
about one hour less sleep per night and have not experienced any negative
effects.

Clarence concludes that moderation is the best policy.  This is fine, but
if you take this policy to its logical conclusion, you would say that
moderation in moderation is also the best policy.  If you just don’t know
and are reluctant to move out of the comfort zone without more information,
you should say so.

Keith

PS.  It was Clarence Bass who brought evolutionary fitness to my attention
earlier this year http://www.cbass.com/EvolutionaryFitness.htm