EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:36:15 -0500
Hello! I tinkered with many many workout schemes...standard western
epriodized powerlifting, Westsidebarbell approaches, quite a number of
things.  I bought the book Science and practice of Strangth Training which I
used to judge the workout recomended by professor Devany.  The heiracal sets
seem to be right in the intensity/volume arena to stimulate good hypertrophy
while the alactic sets train neurological efficiency among other things.
I have been alternating upper body (pullups, rows, presses, and some
medicine ball work) with lower body (deads, squats, cleans, straight leg
deads, lots of jumping and leaping, and more medicine ball drills) >  I work
say upper body wait from 1-4days and work lower, again waiting 1-4 days
before working the upper body again.  For sprints I have a great hill right
next to my house.  It is about 75yds. from top to bottom with a 15-20%
grade.  I sprint to the top and duck walk down to prevent impact on my
knees.  4-6 of these back to back followed by a long walk has been great for
me.  I do this from 1-3 times per week really listening to my body to see
what it is up for.  If you are rehabing a knee running hills of stadiums
would greatly reduce the impact on your knee while increasing the intensity
of the work.  Something I have been doing which is great fun is jumping from
a distance and grabing pullup bars and gymnastics rings.  The rings are a
bit more challenging but you stand a few feet away and simply jump and grab
the bar or rings.  If you are feeling spunky take a few steps and jump from
further away.  I missed with my left hand one day and was pleasantly
surprised that my right hand hled fast and i started jumping and grabing
single handed after that.  Hope this is helpfull and not to much rambling