EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.F.Brumby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:49:05 +0100
While pulse rate falls, the stroke volume increases and the continued
effects of hard cardiac workloads cause heart changes. The ventricles
enlarge causing ECG and X ray abnormalities known as "Athletes Heart"

Date:    Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:47:19 -0400
From:    Michael Warner Kallus <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Digest - 10 Jun 2001 to 11 Jun 2001
(#2001-81)

I have seen alot of these heart abnormality posts in the last few days.
Before anyone gets too proud of having a condition associated with young in
shape atheletes, please know that even to young trained atheletes this
condition is not a point of pride. I PLayed collegaiate water polo training
7 hours a day during the on season. one day my heart simply paused. I got
out of the pool and laid on the concrete while a docotr tried to register
anything but a weak pulse. Later I sat at 19 in a cardiac ward surrounded by
men twice and thrice my age.  I was determined to have just such a
condition. I wore an event monitor, was watched closely, and did not start
that season due to fears by my coach. These events occured occasionally tp
the point where I needed to cling to the side of the pool.  I was not proud,
I was afraid.

I have since discovered that they are often abandoned later, but can grow
more pronounced. Every tine I go for a checkup I get an EKG. It is your
heart, don't avoid medical assistance completely, it may become something
more than a natural varient, and hey, it is your heart. Nothing alarmist-
but it is a life long consideration, just because the doctor is crying
doesnt mean he is crying wolf.

Be Careful-
M kallus

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:17:29 -0400
From:    Dave Fobare <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: old archives

I have misplaced the location of the old archives for this list. Could
someone remind me?

Thanks,

Dave Fobare

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:18:35 -0500
From:    Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: old archives

Try

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=evolutionary-fitness

for the archives.

Keith

Date:    Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:54:32 -0400
From:    Dave Fobare <[log in to unmask]>

Those are the archives for the current version of the list. I believe
someone has the archives for the older version of the list(pre Nov-2000). I
could swear that Art's page mentioned this at one time.

Dave Fobare

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser