EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 07:34:57 -0500
G'day, this is my first posting. I have a question about carbing up for
weight training. Typically in the past I would have carb meals (grain
based)at 12pm and 3 pm, prior to a weights session at around 5-6pm. This
seemed to work reasonably well. Now that I'm eliminating grains and starchy
veges, I was wondering what the best carb up alternatives are. The natural
choice seems to be fruit, however I am concerned at reports that fructose is
highly oxidative, and can damage protein if consumed in excess - and more so
than glucose based foods. Also I have read that glucose is more effective at
refilling liver and muscle glycogen.

So, if glucose is preferential to fructose, which paleo foods have more
glucose than fructose? I believe that fruit isn't 100% fructose but rather
has a combination of glucose and fructose. Is this a constant proportion, or
are some fruits higher in glucose? How about berries, dried fruits and
honey?

Also I would be interested in opinions on whether post-workout carbs are
advantageous or not. Previously, I have not had post-workout carbs, but
possibly I can afford to take extra carbs post-workout for added benefit (or
should I just take extra carbs before the workout?)

BTW, I am low in bodyfat and remain so with these carb ups, and am looking
at increasing lean body mass.

Cheers,

Paul