EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:28:11 -0400
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

    We all have to use browsers and e-mail clients to use these lists,
so I wanted to inform everyone of alternatives to insecure Microsoft
products and expensive Macintosh products.  "If you use Windows, you're
asking for trouble."  (http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20040916.html
How to Protect Yourself From Vandals, Viruses If You Use Windows)  That
quote is from the Wall Street Journal, and that man, according to
Newsweek magazine, is "the most powerful arbiter of consumer tastes in
the computer world today."
(http://www.nbc4.com/digitaledgeexpo/2455823/detail.html)  Here is what
everybody is recommending: Firefox.
(http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)  Firefox (Fx) is so important
because it is most of our introduction to the world of open source
software.  (The Firefox Generation
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=node/view/646)  Fx is almost ready for
its debut.  It's super easy to use, and it is dazzling!
    The people behind Fx are Mozilla, and their experimental e-mail
client is Thunderbird (Tb).
(http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/)  Tb will make it's debut
shortly after Fx, but I have already been using it for a while.
Experimental applications are a bumpy road, but I survived and am wiser
because of it.  There's plenty of user support in the land of Mozilla.
Mozilla also have an even more experimental calendar called Sunbird
(http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird.html) and are soon to
incorporate Nvu (http://www.nvu.com/) as their stand alone What You See
Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) webpage editor.  I'm already using Sunbird and
Nvu, too, with very little if any difficulty.  To replace your Windows
XP/2000/whatever or Mac OS X, I recommend Knoppix.
(http://www.knoppix.org/)  Knoppix costs very little money, and if you
have a CD-RW drive, then you barely notice the expense!  Knoppix is the
best introduction to Linux.  After Linux, you might want to head towards
Unix for even more freedom.  Thanks for your tolerance 'cause I'm not on
Mozilla's payroll.  Neither am  I paid by Knoppix.  I'm just looking out
for my fellow e-listers.  Still, I know some of you will probably
consider this spam and an advertisement or off topic.  What can I say if
you don't see the importance and innovation?

with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the e-mail.