EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J D Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:07:42 -0800
Thanks for the additional input. I'd caution to be wary of abstracts that
only cite the area under the insulin curve as related to baseline. For a
glucose-containing meal, a significant portion of the 4-hour curve is below
baseline. Therefore, area is subtracted. Thus the peak insulin values for
the glucose-only and protein-only meals would almost certainly have a ratio
well in excess of the 100:28 ratio cited.

The population for the Westphal study consisted of four normal males and
three normal females ranging in age from 27-54 years, all within 5% of
desirable body weight according to the 1959 Metropolitan Life Insurance
Company tables. All participants had ingested a diet containing greater
than 200g carbohydrate per day with adequate food energy for 3 days before
testing. Testing was done following an overnight fast of 10-14 hours.