EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rob Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 23:51:16 -0500
Sudden bursts of energy would be needed to scramble up the nearest tree at
the first sign of a predator. This was the basic situation for millions of
years, so fast twitch muscle fibers gave a definite genetic advantage.

When we finally evolved into big game hunters, the moment of the kill would
also require sudden bursts of speed and strength.

I imagine that once we learned to build camps, the most demanding aspect of
paleo life was moving life's necessities from one place to another.

The hunters had to carry as much as they could manage, because the
scavengers would eat whatever they left behind. So I can visualize these
people carrying 60 pounds or more of bloody meat, sometimes very long
distances, over totally wild terrain, essentially barefoot, and keeping an
eye out for scavenger that might steal their load or predators who would be
attracted by the smell. Not quite the modern backpacking experience.

The gatherers would also be required to carry as much as possible, again
because animals might eat whatever they left behind. They would also be
carrying infants, and perhaps assisting the elderly. Again, they had to be
on the lookout for predators, especially those who would be stalking the
smaller children.

Depending upon circumstances, they may have needed to carry water, which is
quite heavy. And once they evolved to using fire, they would need to carry
wood.

If they wanted to go anywhere, they walked. Whenever the group moved to
another camp, everyone would have to carry all of their worldly possessions
on their backs. While this sounds pretty limiting, if you could see what's
inside my garage, you'd have to admit that it had its advantages :o)

So I'm feeling that I need to spend more time walking, especially with a
heavy pack, and especially off trail. And as I tone up, I can start adding
sprints. And I need to give my body the greens and meats it needs, and
avoid sugar, flour, and other processed foods.

To unsubscribe from the list send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the email.

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser