EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edith Mcklveen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:47:29 -0400
Don't we all want to live forever?  However, just as we are genetically programmed to eat certain things, we are, as I understand it, genetically programmed to last about 120 years, give or take a few.

Well, okay, a friend doing research for a master's degree in physical therapy told me that, under ideal conditions, the human heard should last that long.  I assume that the rest of the body would, too.

As I understand it, an individual cell in the body has a certain lifespan, and the body's self repair mechanism replaces it.  But the self-repair mechanism doesn't last forever.  At a certain point in our lives, the self-repair mechanism begins to shut down, and individual cells aren't replaced,  or they are badly replaced.  The body begins to wear out.  Then boom, that's it.

Don't mean to sound morbid.  Death is the last chapter in every life.  It seems to me that keeping that bit of reality in mind make it easier to "do" the Paleolithic lifestyle, since one's expectations would not be out of whack with what it realistically can accomplish.

(Or were you joking about wanting to live forever?  After all, living forever, especially in my neighborhood, would be utterly depressing . . . )

Edith

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/17/01 11:26AM >>>
I am a 55 year old healthy woman, 5ft 6", 140lb, body fat about 23-25%.
I want to reduce my body fat to 19-20% and increase muscle strength and
perhaps mass. Mostly, though I want to live for ever and experience none of the
discomforts or diseases of aging.

I currently eat about 1300-2000 Kcals/day in a mixture of junk and good food
(eg. fruit, veges, 6oz meat or fish, cereal, yogurt, chocolate). I do 30 mins yoga
each day.

How on earth can I lose fat eating 2lb of meat a day and not get colon
cancer? No need to reply. It is a rhetorical question, as I have read
Art's web pages.

I know the theory, but I wonder whether this "diet" (in the larger
sense, as Art uses it) really will, as he says, produce the same
benefits as Calorie Restriction, without the hunger.

There is good evidence for the effects of CR on mice and other
creatures. Is there anything comparable for Evolutionary Fitness? Excuse
me if this has been covered before - just point me to the archives.

Best regards
Deirdre

Many thanks
Deirdre