EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:40:37 -0500
Welcome to the list Dave.  I will try to answer some of your questions and
let you know what has worked best for me.

Try Tamir Katz's website http://www.geocities.com/tbkfitness/.

>3) I happen to have a seated leg press in my basement. According to a
>tidbit gleaned from the archives, I'm now doing a hierarchical routine of
>25, 10 and 6 reps, followed by jumping 'till failure. But I'd like a little
>guidance or a heuristic to follow concerning just how much heavier each of
>the increasing phases of the set should be.

I don't go by weight per se.  I try to focus on the number and quality of
reps that I am doing.  I target the last set for 3-4 quality reps to
failure.  BTW, rather than 25/10/6, I usually do 12/8/4 or something
similar.  I also do alactic training...the 1x5s proposed by Art.

>4) I'm a bit of a dim bulb. Without an actual list of foods I'm not too
>sure what is paleo-friendly and what is not. Peas? Green beans? What about
>nuts? I see references to nuts in general, but no actual list of what
>paleo-types are eating. I've seen negative references to peanuts & cashews.
>I understand the problems with peanuts. Cashews are in a similar boat? What
>about pistachios? Almonds?

Check out http://healingcrow.com/dietsmain/paleo/paleo.html for a list of
paleofoods and related links.

>5) Avocados. I *love* guacamole. Maybe once a month, I need a fix bad. But
>without chips, what the heck do you dip in it?

Your fingers.

>6) Even after perusing the archives, I could not figure out what a
>post-workout meal should look like. Ideally, how long after the workout
>should I wait so as not to stunt GH response? And what types of foods
>should I consume/avoid?

I personally achieve my best results by eating a small amount (8 ounces or
so) of fatty meat within 30-60 minutes of a workout.  If I don't eat meat
after a workout I start feeling nauseous.

Good luck,

Brad Cooley