EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:09:30 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

I have been asked by the publisher to post this notice here.  Perhaps it
belongs on the paleofood site but, as we've been quiet for a while, I
thought you wouldn't mind:
___________________
WHY SOME LIKE IT HOT
Food, Genes, and Cultural Diversity
Gary Paul Nabhan

Does your face immediately flush when you drink alcohol? Does your stomach
groan if you are exposed to raw milk or green fava beans? If so, you are
probably among the one-third of the world's human population that is
sensitive to certain foods due to your genes' interactions with them.
Formerly misunderstood as "genetic disorders," many of these sensitivities
are now considered to be adaptations that our ancestors evolved in
response to the dietary choices and diseases they faced over millennia in
particular landscapes. They are liabilities only when we are "out of
place," on globalized diets depleted of certain chemicals that triggered
adaptive responses in our ancestors.

In Why Some Like It Hot, an award-winning natural historian takes us on a
culinary odyssey to solve the puzzles posed by "the ghosts of evolution"
hidden within every culture and its traditional cuisine. As we travel with
Nabhan from Java and Bali to Crete and Sardinia, to Hawaii and Mexico, we
learn how various ethnic cuisines formerly protected their traditional
consumers from both infectious and nutrition-related diseases. We also
bear witness to the tragic consequences of the loss of traditional foods,
from adult-onset diabetes running rampant among 100 million indigenous
peoples to the historic rise in heart disease among individuals of
northern European descent.

More information:
http://www.islandpress.org/books/detail.html?SKU=1-55963-466-9
with the words SIGNOFF EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS in the _body_ of the e-mail.