ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 11:06:03 -0600
     I was seated in a large auditorium, we weren't allowed, sort
of speak, to call it a sanctuary.  I guess that would make it
sound too religious or too holy or something.  Anyhow, the large
church I was in had a special speaker one night.  He was very
good, quite frankly, and I enjoyed his delivery and message.  He
was the pastor of another large church elsewhere in the country.
I forget his name now.

     In the middle of his sermon, he said something that bothered
me which I remember too well and to this very day.

     His church, as I recall, had a membership of several hundred.
He mentioned that many of the men were employed by a large local
manufacturer but recently there had been a large layoff.  I
thought, at first, he was showing compassion for those
unfortunate church members who had lost jobs.  Instead, he
criticized them.  Why?  Well, you see, this church had a fairly
large Christian day school as well.  He said that the school was
behind by 20,000 dollars due to these people not paying their
school bills.  Of course, they were not paying their school bills
because, as the man said himself, they were out of work.

     As I sat there, I suddenly felt uncomfortable.  That wasn't
my problem, and by that I mean, I was paying my school bills, and
sacrificing financially as a result, too.  so why was I
uncomfortable?  The minute this man mentioned the school bills
were behind by 20,000 dollars, I heard something inside of me.  As
a Baptist, of course, we weren't allowed to hear anything in our
thoughts and especially not in our spirits.  This was only for
cults and those who practiced Satanic rituals.  Well, it was
almost that bad.  Regardless, I felt uncomfortable because I
wasn't supposed to be hearing anything.  Furthermore, you never
questioned the man of God.  If you did, God would get you for
sure.  In fact, I was even taught, even if the man of God was
wrong, you didn't question him or God would get you.  I realize
how stupid and unscriptural this is today but back then, in my
twenties, I just figure these guys were smarter and older and
wiser and that they certainly knew the Bible much better than I.
Besides, why would they make something up that wasn't true.  Yet,
what I heard in my spirit and in my thoughts I knew was of God.
What did I hear?  I heard, "If he wanted to show compassion, he
should announce at church that the church and school was forgiving
that 20,000 dollar unpaid bills."

     At this point, I could launch off into teaching, or
preaching, on true compassion and real forgiveness but I think
what I have said speaks for itself.

Phil.