ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:00:18 -0700
Followup Commentary.

> Subject: LIMITING ANXIOUS FEELINGS
> >
> He said, When I'm facing such situations, I try to follow
> > the six steps  described below to limit
> > my anxious feelings.
> >
> > First, state the problem. A problem well stated is half solved. In
> > anxious states of mind, people can't see the forest for the trees.
> > Put the problem in perspective. Will it matter for eternity? The
> > danger at this juncture is to seek ungodly counsel. The world is
> > glutted with magicians and sorcerers who
> > will promise incredible results. Their appearance may be striking.
> > Their personality may be charming. But they are bankrupt of
> > character. Avoid them. (Psalm 1:1).

Number One Comments.
What if you don't know the identity of the problem or what is even causing
it in the first place?  What if you are lost in the middle of an endless
ocean of mixed emotions instead a forest of trees?

> > He said, Second, separate the facts from the assumptions. Since we don't
know
> > what's going to happen tomorrow, we make assumptions, and we usually
> > assume the worst.
> >
> > If the assumption is accepted as truth, it will drive your mind to
> > its anxiety limits. Therefore, you must separate assumptions from facts.

Number Two Comments.
What if you don't know the facts about what you face and you are unawares of
determining the facts?

> He said, Third, determine what you have the right or ability to control.
You
> > are responsible for that which you can control, and you are not
> > responsible for that which you can't. Don't try to cast your
> > responsibility onto Christ; He will throw it back.

Number Three Comments.
Meanie Jesus.  Tossing back what you cannot bear.  Control?  How can you
control uncontrollable circumstances that just ran into you without warning?
What if you can't control even your thoughts?  Where is Jesus when you need
Him the most?

> > He said, Fourth, list everything you can do which is related to the
situation
> > that is under your responsibility. When people don't assume
> > their  responsibility, they turn to temporary cures for their
> > anxiety, like eating, TV, sex or drugs.

Number Four Comments.
What he means is, you aren't worth spit as far as God is concerned because
you won't take responsibility for your own problems.  In short, God doesn't
care if you are trapped by the anxiety that you should be able to handle on
your own in the first damn place.

> > He said, Fifth, once you are sure you have fulfilled your
responsibility, see
> > if there is any way you can help others. Turning your attention away
> > from your  own self-absorption and onto helping people around you is
> > not only the loving thing to do, but it also brings a special inner
peace.

Number Five Comments.
This is the old standard come back, everybody else is worse off than you.
So run right out into the traffic, find a volunteer freaking job, help
others, and it will make you feel so much better, you'll forget all about
your fears and anxieties which God isn't interested in helping you with in
the first place, dummy.

> > Finaly, he said, Sixth, the rest is God's responsibility, except for
your prayer,
> > according to Philippians 4:6-8. So assume  your responsibility, but
> > cast your anxiety on Christ.

Number Six Comments.
The rest is up to who?  You just were told in five, and possible six, steps,
how to manage your own freaking anxiety without God's help at all.  Why
would you now even think to pray if you don't need God to help you in the
first place.  Where did Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the Bible go in these
six steps in the first place?

This has been a slightly cynical response to one of the dumbest Christian
advice articles I have read in years.

Phil.