ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 02:10:38 -0500
Sin Breaks God's Heart

For reading & meditation - Proverbs 6:27-35
"But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys
himself." (v.32)
We have talked about chastity; let's talk now about faithfulness.
Chastity is purity prior to marriage; faithfulness is virtue within
marriage. God wants everyone who enters into marriage to be loyal and
true. When we say that God is love, we are also saying that God is
faithful, because love cannot be love unless it has faithfulness in it.
Marriage is a covenant. A lot of people say, "It's just a piece of paper
and fifteen minutes of someone's time." But hold on a minute. If life is
based on relationships, then the only ethical relationship is love, and
love is faithfulness, then the marriage covenant is the most precious
thing in life. The thing that constantly comes out in both Old and New
Testaments is the covenant aspect of love. And when you study the
covenants of Scripture you will find this - that God keeps His covenants
even though they are broken from the other side. The relationship
between Jehovah and Israel is often pictured as that of a husband and a
wife. Israel becomes the wayward, unfaithful wife who commits adultery.
But God is still faithful to His covenant. God says, "I will never break
my covenant. You can count on it. I am God." Young people don't want
entangling relationships today. They want to be free to love. With all
the conviction of my heart, I say to you that there is no such thing as
"free love." only free exploitation. Love is commitment and when men and
women indulge in fornication or adultery, they have not just broken
God's laws; they have broken His heart.
Prayer:
O Father, in an age when anything goes, help me be an exhibition to the
world around of what it means to be a follower of You. Help me keep all
my relationships pure. For Your own dear Name's sake. Amen.
For Further Study
Mark 10:1-9; Gen. 2:24; Eph. 5:25
1. What is the principle laid down for marriage?
2. How are husbands to love their wives?