ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:59:39 -0600
Sharon,

I found it.  I must not have put it on my website or posted it to echurch.
I think I was looking at it awhile back and thought it wasn't finished.

THE TRUTH OF RIGHT

                         BY PHIL SCOVELL

     Have you ever been in an argument, knowing you were wrong,
but wishing you were right?  Have you ever been right but it made
no different to the outcome of the situation?  Have you ever won a
dispute but discovered afterward that being right had no change to
the overall situation?  Have you ever been right, but due to
later presented facts, it was proved you had really been wrong in
the first place?  Have you ever been wrong but later learned you
were actually right but realized it meant nothing?

     I was praying with a lady one day when the Lord took her back
to a memory she had of her youth.  She was very small and an
argument arose between herself and her older brother.  she could
recall no specific details but just that she and her brother were
arguing.  They were farmers and he had been working out in the
fields that day.  Her father, due to the lateness of the hour,
wanted his daughter to get ready for bed.  somehow, and for some
reason, she was a little more than fervent about being right.  It
is likely she was somewhat defiant because she remembers being
spanked by her father and sent to bed because she wasn't obeying
his desire for her to get ready for bed.

     In prayerfully probing the memory, on more than one
occasion,  she finally realized the focal point was expressed when
she said, "I just wanted to be right."  Something about this
statement caused me to focus spiritually on what the truth might
be which she needed to hear from the Lord.  I certainly didn't
know what it was but I asked her to listen as we prayed and asked
the Lord to show us the truth about her desire to be right.  After
a considerable time of waiting on the Lord, she remarked, "He said
that He is always right."  I laughed because the truth was so
plain and simple; it had to be God.

     This statement has had a powerful effect upon my own life
personally.  Here was a little girl, who desired nothing more than
to be right, and apparently had the feeling she lost the argument
because she was punished and put to bed.  It was even her bedtime
but she just wanted to be right.  Perhaps she was right, too.  The
truth was, and is, however, that Jesus is always right.  Even if
we are wrong.  Even if we make a mistake.  Even if sin has
attempted to corrupt our relationship with the Lord.  Even if we
feel punished unjustly.  the truth is Jesus, that is, Jesus is
always right.  Regardless of how we feel, regardless of the
outcome of a circumstance, regardless to the nature of any given
situation, the truth that sets us free is that Jesus is always
right.  the meaning of this statement is beyond our comprehension
as a Christian because the meaning is that Jesus is always the
truth.  Mess up your life, screw up a relationship, destroy
something you believe God gave you, lose something precious to
you, squander away something that was incredibly important to you,
lose a family, drop the ball, miss a goal, fail, freak out,
discover you are a day late and a dollar short, find out how
stupid you feel because you failed to succeed, call for heads and
discover it always comes up tails, run a race and no matter how
hard you try, you still come in everything but first, get up on
the wrong side of the bed, the side with the wall, misjudge, fall,
miscalculate, lose, forget, misplace, forfeit, fracture, break,
crack, shatter, fragment, sin, come up empty, get the wrong
answer, miscalculate your bank balance, bounce a check or two,
lose your job, get cancer, screw up, trash out, go amiss, lose a
child, abort your baby, over react, strike out, fall in the mud,
run away, trip over your own feet, lose the game, shoot yourself
in the foot, crack up, overestimate, luck out, fail the final
test, hurt the one you love the most, miss figure, give up, stub
your toe, pass beyond the point of no return, miss the target,
become ill, or even die.  I could easily add a hundred more things
to this list, too.  The answer is still the same; Jesus is always
right.  Learn that truth and all will become new.