ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:56:55 -0000
Hi,

In our "Breakfast Radio Programme" today, our attention was drawn to this
article, really to cheer people up and make them laugh on a dreary, very wet
morning, where there wasn't too much for the average person to be cheery
about ...

I'm sending it here partly because of the humour but also because I think it
brings home real truth that we need to be aware of.

I really do my best to "Tell it as it is", but have said "Oh, nothing" when
asked "What's wrong" and for many years I was too embarrassed about my
weight to admit the truth!

Anyway, here it is, hit DEL if you wish!  <Smiles>

(The men come out worst so, Phil, perhaps you shouldn't read it!)

--
Carol

Revealed: Britain's favourite fibs - which ones have you used?
Last updated at 00:21am on 14th January 2008

Comments  Comments (5)

They say that anyone who claims he always tells the truth is a liar.

And a survey seems to have confirmed that, with those interviewed admitting
an average four fibs a day - five by men and three by women.

"Nothing's wrong - I'm fine", is the most frequent, with 28 per cent of
respondents saying it was their favourite untruth.

Next comes "Nice to see you", followed by "I haven't got any cash on me",
"I'll give you a ring", "Sorry, I missed your call", "We'll have to meet up
soon"
and "I'm on my way".

Scroll down for more

It's lucky our noses don't grow like Pinocchio's when we lie. A recent
survey has confirmed that we tell on average four lies a day

Worryingly for women, the classic "No, your bum doesn't look big in that",
is the eighth-most-common fib.

The rest of the Top 20 are: "I'm stuck in traffic", "What text?", "I had no
signal", "Of course I love you", "Our server was down", "My alarm didn't go
off," "The cheque is in the post," "My battery died," "The train was
delayed," "I'll phone you back in a minute", "This tastes delicious" and
"I'm going
to the gym tonight".

Four lies a day adds up to 1,460 every year or almost 88,000 in the average
60 years of adult lifespan.

Most lies are to work colleagues, followed by parents and then partners.

The survey was carried out for the drinks brand WKD, whose spokesman said:

"Fortunately most of the fibs we unearthed are only white lies and nothing
too serious.

"Although we have revealed that most people tell porkies quite regularly,
they are more often than not told to spare people's feelings rather than to
cause
upset.

"But it's men who tell the most fibs, coming out with five every day
compared with women who lie just three times."

Two-thirds of those polled said they do not feel guilty when they tell
little white lies and four out of ten reckon they are good at lying.

One in five males interviewed said he would lie to his girlfriend so he
could go to the pub or watch sport.

Almost a quarter of men have told a partner that she looks good in an
outfit, despite thinking the opposite, and 29 per cent have lied about
flirting with
another woman.

But females are not completely innocent, with 44 per cent admitting to
having lied about how much new clothes really cost them and 30 per cent
about how
much they have had to drink.

A third of the 2,500 polled admitted to having lied about their weight, a
quarter about the amount of debt they are in and 30 per cent about the
amount
of exercise they do. Lying about having kissed or spent the night with
another person is the worst fib to tell, according to those polled, while
half of
them said they had been embarrassingly caught telling a lie.

Three quarters think women are the better liars.

The spokesman added: "I don't think it will come as too big a surprise to
many women that their man has pulled a fast one to avoid a date.

"But to know that the favourite reasons are based around going to the pub or
the footy with their mates may ruffle some feathers."

Completing the Top 30 lies are: "We're just friends", "My watch stopped",
"I've got a call on the other line", "I've been in meetings all day", "It's
just
what I've always wanted", "I wrote your number down incorrectly", "It was
THIS BIG", "I'm working late tonight", "I bought the last one" and "My car
wouldn't
start".